Lampropelma violaceopes death curl...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yep, I dont see any real issue with husbandry here. I have used modified Exo Terra Faunariums before with no issues.

I hope its just a hickup and he comes around.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Sorry to hear man :(

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
by 90% i meant the back half of the top and half of the sides. half the top and the front and half the sides were providing vent. if you knew what youre talking about, youd know thats more than enough.
@Nightstalker47 people who dont know what theyre talking about should not try to give advice in the first place. :rofl: disagree all you want if it makes you feel better
Well thats an odd ratio for 90% of the ventilation being cobered ? I guess you didnt cover it that much. However, clearly your not keeping it properly if its in a death curl. The humidity looks like it isnt the issue. I have more Ts and inverts than yourself and I have alll time I need to keep them healthy and thriving. So that's no excuse.

I hope I run into you at a reptile show or something. You're quite the keyboard warrior, but I bet you would show much more respect in person, I take pride in keeping my collection healthy and I have never lost a T as large as 5 inches this way, they are much hardier at this size which is what tells me you did spmething wrong. But hey keep disregarding that you did anything wrong that's how you learn in the first place.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well thats an odd ratio for 90% of the ventilation being cobered ? I guess you didnt cover it that much. However, clearly your not keeping it properly if its in a death curl. The humidity looks like it isnt the issue. I have more Ts and inverts than yourself and I have alll time I need to keep them healthy and thriving. So that's no excuse.

I hope I run into you at a reptile show or something. You're quite the keyboard warrior, but I bet you would show much more respect in person, I take pride in keeping my collection healthy and I have never lost a T as large as 5 inches this way, they are much hardier at this size which is what tells me you did spmething wrong. But hey keep disregarding that you did anything wrong that's how you learn in the first place.
i exaggerated. keyboard warrior huh, you're not so bad yourself. im a nice guy to people on here who are nice back.
well, i have a dead spider, something obviously went wrong. if you could tell me what went wrong, id be glad to hear it.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
i exaggerated. keyboard warrior huh, you're not so bad yourself. im a nice guy to people on here who are nice back.
well, i have a dead spider, something obviously went wrong. if you could tell me what went wrong, id be glad to hear it.
All that crap you talked about Jon3800 being a terrible keeper with heavy losses seems to have backfired. Your not what you claim to be. Your no better then anyone else, hope you learn your lesson charma seems to have gotten to you. I

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Dang! :(
Sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful species to have.
The enclosure looks fine, mine are kept in a similar fashion. Doubt it was your fault, just fate intervened on his life cycle.
You know, even in the best possible conditions and husbandry, we face unknown causes of death.
I am constantly adding moisture to enclosures this time of year. :banghead:

boina

Lady of the mites
However, clearly your not keeping it properly if its in a death curl.
That statement is quite clearly not true. @Venom1080 may have done something wrong or he may not. Unfortunately as of yet we are not able to control every disease there is just by providing an optimal habitat. I mean people usually get quite old, but even some very healthy living people get cancer at 30 or 40 years of age. Are you going to blame them? And we know a lot about mammalian diseases but we know practically nothing about diseases of reptiles, amphibias and let alone inverts. There are so many rare and weird diseases out there that your comment seems actually more geared to express your own anger.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Really on slings? That's odd I never had a problem raising slings. They are ravenous eaters, I always gave them plenty of depth to burrow and provided pretty moist substrate relative to arid species.

Interesting observations people. Their sensitivity to humidity is well documented by Poec54 in many comments, he breeds them.
I remember Poec54 comments about L.violaceopes slings, if I'm not wrong and if I remember well, he always said that they are very sensible to 'wrong' temperatures, like the mix of moisture (needed) but with cold (let's say the 'cold' that wouldn't be an issue for the likes of 'Brachy/Grammo' etc). He loved also to use the 'plants' comparison :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
All that crap you talked about Jon3800 being a terrible keeper with heavy losses seems to have backfired. Your not what you claim to be. Your no better then anyone else, hope you learn your lesson charma seems to have gotten to you. I
this is my third loss in 6 years. jon loses that many in a month. ;) i hope venting all your anger out on the internet and whining to me about my loss is helping you in life man.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
However, clearly your not keeping it properly if its in a death curl.
I have to drop a little truth because the above statement of yours is simply not true, you sound like my country's president.

A death curl is not always the result of dehydration due to neglect by the keeper. Our forum moderator @AphonopelmaTX may provide more details to readers here as I don't have the specifics handy to provide examples that result in a death curl which can be independent of the owner's husbandry.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This sucks man...hardest part of the hobby, losing a T due to unknown conditions :(
So sorry for your loss!

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
If it's not too late, grab us a pic of his underside too. Maybe someone will spot something off.

Definitely wasn't your fault. T looks perfectly healthy, and the enclosure looks perfectly adequate. Only thing I could think of is possibly something in the water, or maybe a feeder came into contact with something.

Has he eaten fine and acted normal since his last molt? Maybe something was damaged internally.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That is absolutely not a dehydrated T, so that was not the cause of death. I'm sorry to hear it man, that was a beautiful spider.

Sometimes spiders die with no explanation. The most experienced users on this forum have unexplained deaths. It happens.