L. striatipes pic

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
This is the first pic I've taken of my L. striatipes since I posted the pics of her molting 2 weeks ago. She's about 2 1/4 inches now.
When I first received this spider I hated her....I had originally ordered a C. cyaneopubescens, a L. parahybana, and a Lasiodorides striatus...when I received the package there was a note that the one L. striatus they had died during a molt and they replaced it with the L. striatipes. When I opened the deli cup I almost cried, this was just a plain brown spider.
Well...I'm pleased to say that this "plain brown spider" is now one of my favorites.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are really great spiders. I have 4 of them and I am really impressed by their endless appetites and their willingness to take on rather large prey items. Of the 5 species ( give or take L. cristata) of Lasiodora that I keep, L. striatipes is by far my most aggressive feeders.

BTW, that is a nice pic. Although this species has become more common in the hobby, you still don't see a lot of good pics of them.

John

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Yeah she is a very aggressive feeder...those crickets don't stand a chance.
I'm finding that the Lasiodoras are my favorites. I think the next time I place an order I'm going to get L. cristata and L. difficilis (sp?).
When I got this spider I couldn't find anything on the net about them, and for a while I was convinced that only 2 pics existed. Every website I found with a pic of L. striatipes had one of the same 2 pics....neither of which were very good.

Here's a pic of what she looked like when I first got her.....and why I was so upset....there was just nothing special about her.

Leanne

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know exactly how you feel. When I first got my L parahybana she was so small and kinda simple looking. She was even pretty skinny. As far as coloration, she was just a simple brownish color that was almost creamy with little to no markings. SInce then she has molted a bunch of times and is big and beautiful. THat is one interesting thing abou this genus.