L. polycuspulatus

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
Hi, all! I was wondering if anyone has any information on this species. Here is what I know:
* NW terrestrial
* Slow-growing and long-lived
* Gentle, though individual Ts may be different
* Attain about a 6" DLS
My biggest questions are:
* Is this one of the "dry sub and a water dish" species?
* Does anyone have one, and if so, is there anything special I need to know about them?

Thanks so much!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, all! I was wondering if anyone has any information on this species. Here is what I know:
* NW terrestrial
* Slow-growing and long-lived
* Gentle, though individual Ts may be different
* Attain about a 6" DLS
My biggest questions are:
* Is this one of the "dry sub and a water dish" species?
* Does anyone have one, and if so, is there anything special I need to know about them?

Thanks so much!
Not a species I own, but plenty of info it seems on them here on AB, search Google, google indexes AB. Should help you until someone chimes in.

upload_2016-8-12_21-59-37.png

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
If I hadn't searched for the info first, I wouldn't have asked. You know, there's a big "Search" button at the top om my page, too. What I wrote that I knew, I actually pieced together from those threads. I know ONE person says they keep them dry with a dish, but, wanted to make sure that the consensus was to do this. Better to ASK than to show up in a month looking for info on how to save my little spider.

Now, to anyone who actually wants to help...dry with a water dish? Anything unique about the keeping of this species (L. polycuspulatus)? I believe it's a pretty straightforward species, but just want to be sure, as it isn't particularly common.

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Large juveniles and up I would keep them dry but like any other species as babies keep them moist. If you know when your tarantula is going to molt it doesn't matter what species I always keep the humidity higher, some species do require higher humidity than others.

Lasiodorides polycuspulatus are a little skittish but gentle and like any other spider unpredictable. Yes they do get up to 6"+ and they are slow growers just like their cousin Lasiodorides striatus. Lasiodorides polycuspulatus are hardy and long live, you will not be disapointed.

In the late 90's I used to own wild caught adult polycuspulatus and I can't wait for my CB females to get 5" inches. It will still be a year to two years when they'll get that size.

Lasiodorides polycuspulatus

Lasiodorides striatus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks so much! That's all I needed - I just *love* the blond legs. ♥
They are a nice species to own and I'm a bit surprise that not a lot of hobbyist aren't into this species. My female that is on that photo she has not molted in a long time she is only 3.75" inches and has not lost any of her abdomen hairs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They are a nice species to own and I'm a bit surprise that not a lot of hobbyist aren't into this species. My female that is on that photo she has not molted in a long time she is only 3.75" inches and has not lost any of her abdomen hairs.

Both species in the genus would be a lot more popular in the hobby, but they're not available often and the growth is slow. I had some of both in the late 1990's when wild caught adults were coming in. They're attractive and hardy, they'd be great species for many people.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If I hadn't searched for the info first, I wouldn't have asked. You know, there's a big "Search" button at the top om my page, too. What I wrote that I knew, I actually pieced together from those threads. I know ONE person says they keep them dry with a dish, but, wanted to make sure that the consensus was to do this. Better to ASK than to show up in a month looking for info on how to save my little spider.

Now, to anyone who actually wants to help...dry with a water dish? Anything unique about the keeping of this species (L. polycuspulatus)? I believe it's a pretty straightforward species, but just want to be sure, as it isn't particularly common.
Jesus man, calm down. He was trying to help. He never said that you shouldn't have asked; in fact, he said that it should help you until someone chimes in.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both species in the genus would be a lot more popular in the hobby, but they're not available often and the growth is slow. I had some of both in the late 1990's when wild caught adults were coming in. They're attractive and hardy, they'd be great species for many people.
Within the last four years Lasiodorides polycuspulatus has been available. And just recently another batch were imported I was going to purchase more, decided not too I have plenty. Yes they are a great species to own.

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
I would absolutely love to get a L. striatus, as well, but all my T money has been spent...for now. LOL.

Jesus man, calm down. He was trying to help. He never said that you shouldn't have asked; in fact, he said that it should help you until someone chimes in.
I have read all too many posts on this site, where people ask a simple question, and the response is, "use the search function." I used it, and didn't find what I needed to know. Therefore, I asked. :) Because of the "all too many posts" part, I may have been a bit defensive - and it was early morning when I responded. :p

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I would absolutely love to get a L. striatus, as well, but all my T money has been spent...for now. LOL.

I have read all too many posts on this site, where people ask a simple question, and the response is, "use the search function." I used it, and didn't find what I needed to know. Therefore, I asked. :) Because of the "all too many posts" part, I may have been a bit defensive - and it was early morning when I responded. :p
Doesn't mean you have to be rude about it.

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
Doesn't mean you have to be rude about it.
Okay, can we get back to the topic of the thread, please? Do you have any experience with this species? If so, would you kindly enlighten me as to anything I missed above? Thanks. :)

Edit: I tried to amend my previous post, but I can't. :(

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

I hear you, can't say that I'm a morning person either ;)

I can't comment on this species, but I can give advice. When I'm unsure of the humidity requirements of a species, run a test. Have a bone dry enclosure and heavily overfill the water dish. If you find that the spider is exclusively hanging around the water, then that tells you it needs more humidity. If it wanders constantly, then perhaps drop the humidity.

Humidity is a difficult thing to advise someone on, as it varies by your location. Personally, I really shouldn't keep B. albopilosum on bone dry substrate, whereas others can.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Lasiodorides striatus will be a harder species to get.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've see those an helluva of years ago here in Italy, I was next to buy one (L.striatus) from one of Italy best breeders then I went in full control of my brain cells again and bought a A.musculosa :p

Aside for jokes :angelic: Lady buy one if you can, can't go wrong, super easy to care (you nailed it, dry & water dish for a juve/adult is fine but a little of slightly moist substrate here and then wouldn't harm) my advice? Offer those a little more of substrate, some loves to burrow (not of course like pet holes uh).

:-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

@MoonWeaver

Well excuse you for wearing a tin foil hat, if you hadn't been wearing a tin foil hat I would have been able to read your mind and know all your actions PRIOR to your post :p

There are tons of people who DO NOT search at all, and treat the forum as a fast-food service joint.

In all your reading did you PM the person/s on the forum who own this species?

I did, and the helpful person provided me some additional information.

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
Aside for jokes :angelic: Lady buy one if you can, can't go wrong, super easy to care (you nailed it, dry & water dish for a juve/adult is fine but a little of slightly moist substrate here and then wouldn't harm) my advice? Offer those a little more of substrate, some loves to burrow (not of course like pet holes uh).
Thanks for the advice! I decided to go out and buy one, so it'll be here on Tuesday. If I remember, I'll post pics. :)

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
@MoonWeaver

Well excuse you for wearing a tin foil hat, if you hadn't been wearing a tin foil hat I would have been able to read your mind and know all your actions PRIOR to your post :p

There are tons of people who DO NOT search at all, and treat the forum as a fast-food service joint.

In all your reading did you PM the person/s on the forum who own this species?

I did, and the helpful person provided me some additional information.
Can I be honest with you? I really never thought to PM anyone. I never do, on any forums I'm on (unless they PM me first). I figure, if I'm planning on purchasing a T from someone in the classifieds here, I will PM them. Otherwise, I will ask the forums at large, this way more people can find out the information. Many of the threads I found were older (2004?), or about things that I never plan on doing (such as handling). I figure that most of those people are no longer around, anyway, and husbandry information has changed over time.
As far as my tin foil hat? I use it to block the incoming signals from the Greys, don'tchaknow? Sorry it interfered with your mind reading capabilities. ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can I be honest with you? I really never thought to PM anyone. I never do, on any forums I'm on (unless they PM me first). I figure, if I'm planning on purchasing a T from someone in the classifieds here, I will PM them. Otherwise, I will ask the forums at large, this way more people can find out the information. Many of the threads I found were older (2004?), or about things that I never plan on doing (such as handling). I figure that most of those people are no longer around, anyway, and husbandry information has changed over time.
As far as my tin foil hat? I use it to block the incoming signals from the Greys, don'tchaknow? Sorry it interfered with your mind reading capabilities. ;)
I always PM the source for info in cases like this for exactly the reasons you mentioned in your previous post. I've gotten some very useful info out of PMs that was not found on the forum itself from many different people.

Indeed some of those people are no longer around, but some still are. Hence my PMs to someone who currently owns this species. :D