• L.parahybana!

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • nah...difficilis!

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Providing you had neither of these in your collection, which would you pick? L. parahybana is supposed to grow larger, but it doesn't appear to be larger by much. Anyone who's kept either or both care to comment?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, L. difficilis is a v-e-r-y slow grower. My parahybana grew much faster than my difficilis. But then MY parahybana is probably a male.:eek: ;)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Providing you had neither of these in your collection, which would you pick? L. parahybana is supposed to grow larger, but it doesn't appear to be larger by much. Anyone who's kept either or both care to comment?
I would choose both because I probably will get the L. parahybana as a freebie ;) (j/k both are pretty inexpensive at the moment so that's the true reason why I'd choose both)

L. parahybana do get larger than L. difficilus because in the 12 years I've been keeping tarantulas I have yet to see a L. difficilus over 7" where the L. parahybana easily gets 9"+ over a few years.

Brian

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no vote, I don't think I've ever even considered buying one or the other... and don't know much about either, so I'm no help lol...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard Lasiodora in general are fast growers...and that parahybana will get to about 4 inches in its first year.

LOL@stonemantis. I'm considering the smaller breeders and it is either one or the other.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, both my difficilis AND para are growing pretty fast. like stonemantis said, both are pretty inexpensive, and you might even get an LP as a freebie like i did. if not, they are like $5. so get both;) that's my suggestion...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Colorwise do the two species differ much? I notice that on many difficilis the abdominal hairs stand straight up and appear to spread from the center. On L. parahybana the hairs are more laid flat and haphazard. difficilis also appear more red.

widowman: But surely one must be growing faster...LOL!

I don't want to pay shipping twice though...that is the problem. :)

I'm guessing both are the same nasty temperament also?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Colorwise do the two species differ much? I notice that on many difficilis the abdominal hairs stand straight up and appear to spread from the center. On L. parahybana the hairs are more laid flat and haphazard. difficilis also appear more red.
they do look a little different. but A LOT similar. i think they are both beautiful! i always thought difficilis had a bit more color though...

widowman: But surely one must be growing faster...LOL!
well, to tell the truth, the LP is growing slightly faster. but not by much. not that big of a noticeable difference. they both have grown like crazy since purchased. ;)

if you are lucky, you can convince someone to send a freebie LP with your purchase of a difficilis ;)

eh, neither of mine are bad at all. they must love me:rolleyes: hahaha!

Kohler

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have both species, but I choose L.parahybana due to its size, coloration, growth and beauty.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its got to the L- PARAHYBANA its the best :clap: :clap: :clap: --- PHIL

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard Lasiodora in general are fast growers...and that parahybana will get to about 4 inches in its first year.

LOL@stonemantis. I'm considering the smaller breeders and it is either one or the other.
The growth rate really depends on enviroment and feeding. Yes, I do agree under the right conditions L. parahybana do reach a pretty good size within a year. L. difficilis grow faster than the parahybana as spiderlings IME but, they tend to slow down on growing when they reach about 4". Where the L. parahybana slow down on their growth at about 6"-7" IME.

Colorwise: L. difficilis have slightly brighter coloration (Not enough to make a huge difference IMO) on the abdominal hair but, the rest of the body is a dark brown with a reddish tint to it. The L. parahybana are dark brown with a pinkish tint to them. Both are quite colorful under the right lighting.

Temperment: Both are pretty skittish when small but, are more likely to kick hair than bite unless hungry.

Brian