L. Parahybana or T. Blondi in 10 gallon?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, I know this is a fairly generic and common question, but I was curious if anyone has successfully kept one of these guys in a 10 gallon. I personally would go for a 20 gallon, but for curiosoties sake I just wanted to know if anyone had good results. Particularly since I have a spare 10 gallon around here, haha.
Also, if a 10 is infact a little cramped, what would you folks say is the maximum size for a terrestrial T in a 10 Gallon Long. I'm looking for a decent sized, and hardy T that will grow fast and stay visible. Old world or New world is fine, and temperment is not a concern, though I am accustomed to aggressive T's.
I owned a T. Blondi a few years back and kept her in a 55 gallon tank, but I as I said, what big terrestrials do you guys keep in a 10?

Thanks.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
G. aureostriata is another good candidate, I think they top out around...8"? They grow fast for Gramms.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my 7"+ L.Parahybana comfortably in a 10 gallon. No T should be kept in a 20 gallon, way to big... unless it had a 13" legspan or something.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, I'm trying to like the Grammostola's since theyre so common/cheap and hardy and easy to keep, but damn, I just find them boring. I don't know why.
But Grammostola aureostriata is the one I would consider keeping the most. Thanks for the input.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, I know this is a fairly generic and common question, but I was curious if anyone has successfully kept one of these guys in a 10 gallon. I personally would go for a 20 gallon, but for curiosoties sake I just wanted to know if anyone had good results. Particularly since I have a spare 10 gallon around here, haha.
I've kept them in plastic shoe boxes before which are smaller than a 10 gal tank. Now if you plan to breed them a 20 gal might be a little better for introducing a male.

Also, if a 10 is infact a little cramped, what would you folks say is the maximum size for a terrestrial T in a 10 Gallon Long. I'm looking for a decent sized, and hardy T that will grow fast and stay visible. Old world or New world is fine, and temperment is not a concern, though I am accustomed to aggressive T's.
I owned a T. Blondi a few years back and kept her in a 55 gallon tank, but I as I said, what big terrestrials do you guys keep in a 10?

Thanks.
A 10 gal will hold any T you want to put in one if all you plan to do is "keep" a tarantula. As I said in the other quote, I do prefer larger cages if I intend to breed them.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input guys, I'm glad to see a 10 should work. I don't have any plans to breed. The only reason I kept my T. Blondi in such a massive enclosure is because it was my only one available and I made it a high munidity Vivarium, essentially.
Thanks alot once again.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is a 6.2 gallon terrarium large enough for a 5" L. parahybana?
It's 7" high x 10.25" deep x 15.5" wide.
If so, how long will that last it?

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
6.2 gal is plenty of room for a 5 incher. I keep my 6 inch rosie in a 2 1/2. For 10 plus years. They just don't need much room.

AmazingInverts

Arachnopeon
Once a spider becomes around adult size the ground coverage isn't what you should worry about as much as the height of the tank. You just wouldn't want your spider to fall and injure him/herself. Personally, I have a B. Vagan that I house in a 10 gal and have no problems but she does have 6-7 inches of substrate just incase she falls. Just my 2 cents ;) .

-Will