l. parahybana not eating

fen17

Arachnopeon
my l.parahybana hasnt eaten in a few weeks. she ate a week after i got her but hasnt eaten since. last time she ate was 31st of dec, it’s currently 26th january. the pet store she was previously in said she was eating around 2 adult locusts a week but she refused to eat those when we tried to feed her. we got some size 3 locusts and she ate 2 (on dec 31st) but didn’t touch another. I’ve tried different sizes but she refuses to eat them, if the locust goes near her she will move away or lift her leg up so she isn’t touching it.
I thought maybe she’s in pre-molt but i’m not sure and it’s worrying me because i don’t want her to die.

extra information- she’s unsexed, shes a littke older than a year and a half old, she had a small bald spot when i got her and shes got a few more bald patches but the skin is still pale.
i dont know when her last molt was.

sorry if this is a dumb question

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
She probably just isn't hungry. As it's said many times before, they can go weeks and months without eating and if her abdomen is large there's no need to worry.

The bald spots are from hair-kicking.

cold blood

Staff member
Tarantulas are not like other pets...refusal of food is almost never a real issue. Ts can go VERY long times without food, and frankly, if the t is plump, it just won't need food until after it next molts, which could be weeks, or many months away.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas won't die if they don't eat for a few weeks. I've even heard of them going almost a year without eating and were completely fine. Seriously, nothing to worry about, fasting is suuuper common.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not eating is about as normal as tarantulas are themselves in this hobby. If your tarantula was fed 2 adult locusts a week then it sounds like it could be very plump and has enough nutrients to prepare for a molt and is done eating now. Nothing to worry about. Just keep the water dish full and carry on. If so won’t need more food until after it molts.