L.parahybana molt & pinkie question

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all,
My parahybana just molted (think it's about 4" now). I keep being amazed at how the cephalothorax and legs grow! It must have been really cramped in its old skin...
Now for the question: I bought some frozen pinkies, when the parahybana has hardened up I want to feed him one. The problem is that the spider is usually in its burrow (I can get a good look in there because he has built it against the glass). I heard that pinkie remains can really get stinky. How do I get the remains out of the burrow? The burrow is like a little way straight down and at the bottom a chamber, so I can't get to all of the burrow with tweezers. Anyone have answers?
greetz,
Joost

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hopefully, the spider would leave the bolus outside the burrow. My Lp's like to leave trash in their water bowls.

Wade

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Joost:

A sign your spider is not ready for Pinkies yet is when it can't finish them in a single sitting (leaving behind waste). I would wait until it was at least 6 inches to try pinkies. A spider should technically not leave behind any or very little remains after eating, otherwise you are feeding it too much in a single sitting. If you follow this advice, you won't have a smelly problem on your hands (as I don't with my spiders who eat pinkies). But as Wade said, usually they will dispose of the waste outside the burrow.

It is fun (in some sort of way, hehe) to watch spiders eat Pinkies, and some spiders that size CAN finish a pinkie off, but if yours can not, I suggest waiting til it's a lttle larger and stick with crickets. Either that, or cut a piece of pinkie rather then giving it the whole thing. Of course that can get messy and I couldn't stomach it personally, but if you can by all means.

Pauly

Last edited: