L parahybana alternatives

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Another one I just now thought of is Lasiodorides striatus. Not quite as large or as fast growing as an LP. Mine is great
L. subcanens is also probably the most attractive in the genus, at least to me it is. Almost like a much bigger Tliltocatl albopilosus

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Another one I just now thought of is Lasiodorides striatus. Not quite as large or as fast growing as an LP. Mine is great
Wow, those are beautiful! I'll keep my eye out for one, they look very nice.

All tarantulas with urticating hairs do this, its one of the primary uses for those hairs, you will never find a single t with urticating hairs that doesnt do this.

As for maintenance, it has absolutely no effect on cage maintenance whatsoever....this is done by simply picking out a bolus or dead prey item here and there and that should be done with a tweezers anyway (as you eluded to). Ts arent inherently dirty aimals, they dont need full scale changes made, substrate doesnt just go bad so it never needs to be changed under any normal circumstances....heck I have a rose hair thats on the same sub I put in there in 1998.
I didn't know that. I figured that it was out of the ordinary since I've only seen that behavior mentioned while talking about the LP, thanks for enlightening me :)

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
What are all the great traits you like about them, other than the size? It might help narrow down alternatives.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow, those are beautiful! I'll keep my eye out for one, they look very nice.

I didn't know that. I figured that it was out of the ordinary since I've only seen that behavior mentioned while talking about the LP, thanks for enlightening me :)
I’m more sensitive to nhandu hairs but I can still keep them with proper protective gloves etc during rehouse /cage maintenance. Sadly my old female and young one are gone all I got are slings left . As far as I know a 4” cromatus isn’t moisture dependent didn’t know why I lost it .
I like Phormictopus, not shy,voracious and beautiful.
yep similar to lp both mine were males still not gotten more due to financial issues.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
What are all the great traits you like about them, other than the size? It might help narrow down alternatives.
I'm a fan of their availability, affordability, and growth rate. I've been looking to increase my collection with "hobby staple" and more affordable species, but many of them (of which I have 3) don't grow incredibly quickly (which I'm not opposed to, but I would like to have at least 1 t in my collection reach a reasonable size within a year or whatever.

I like Phormictopus, not shy,voracious and beautiful.
I've heard of those, they seem pretty nice, but they seem to be a bit on the rarer/uncommon side and for a bit more of a pretty penny.

I’m more sensitive to nhandu hairs but I can still keep them with proper protective gloves etc during rehouse /cage maintenance. Sadly my old female and young one are gone all I got are slings left . As far as I know a 4” cromatus isn’t moisture dependent didn’t know why I lost it .

yep similar to lp both mine were males still not gotten more due to financial issues.
Sorry to hear that :(

sparticus

Arachnoknight
I'm a fan of their availability, affordability, and growth rate.
If that's what you're looking for, you should think about a psalmopoeus. P. cambridgei checks all those boxes, and no hairs to kick either. I don't know if an arboreal is your thing or not, but I let someone on here talk me into this species and I have no regrets. She's already about 4 inches from a tiny sling in 10 months. Fast, fun, gorgeous, and spicy, with a great prey drive. 🤩
I also get really strong growth rates with Thrixopelma species (T. Pruriens, T. Longicolli, and T. Ockerti), although all these guys can be prone to kicking hairs. And N. Incei is small but super fun, inexpensive, and fast growing.
If you think you'll enjoy the LP then just go for it, though.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
literally anything...the LP is the most boring looking of all the larger NW terrestrials.

They dont get that big...lol....males can mature in the 5-6" range, females are generally in the 7" range with bigguns being 8"...literally no different than dozens if not hundreds of NW terrestrials

Hair kicking is relative...Pamphs have never flicked for me, but ia have heard of others haveing flicky ones....Most of my Nhandu aren't flicky aside from coloratovillsus as a juvie, but others have flicky ones.

A genic is a great bet, I have never had a flicky one.....Phormictipus is another good genus, none of mine are flicky, but they can be very defensive.

A GBB might be a good one, too.
Can confirm, my Pamphobeteus is one of the “flicky ones”:rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If that's what you're looking for, you should think about a psalmopoeus. P. cambridgei checks all those boxes, and no hairs to kick either. I don't know if an arboreal is your thing or not, but I let someone on here talk me into this species and I have no regrets. She's already about 4 inches from a tiny sling in 10 months. Fast, fun, gorgeous, and spicy, with a great prey drive. 🤩
I also get really strong growth rates with Thrixopelma species (T. Pruriens, T. Longicolli, and T. Ockerti), although all these guys can be prone to kicking hairs. And N. Incei is small but super fun, inexpensive, and fast growing.
I think you’re making a strong argument for both. 🤩 I would’ve gotten 10P. cambridgei back when I did, had I know both would be males. Same amount as lp. Which I’m down to 5 now.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My female LP is probably 7" DLS. I do not consider her appearance to be boring in the least. What she lacks in flashiness is made up by her leg-span and bulkiness.

I also have a G. pulchripes. which is attractive, a B. hamorii, also a looker, An N. chromatus, which while not at full growth yet, is a stunner, a SLOW growing Curly hair, and finally, a Ceratogyrus darlingi juvenile.

All of them have their plusses. But the LP is the show-stopper for people who have seen her. "Oh, that one is pretty! So is that one! That one too!" The reaction to the LP is "HOLY CRAP!" :D Nobody that has seen her has said "Booorrring!

What I don't get is the appeal of is dwarf species. I had a Pumpkin Patch, and while I liked him for what he was, I often thought "Yeah, it is more or less a Golden Orb Weaver, minus the intricate web."

sparticus

Arachnoknight
All of them have their plusses. But the LP is the show-stopper for people who have seen her. "Oh, that one is pretty! So is that one! That one too!" The reaction to the LP is "HOLY CRAP!" :D Nobody that has seen her has said "Booorrring!
I'll come over there and call her boring to her face. I'm not afraid. 😂
What I don't get is the appeal of is dwarf species. I had a Pumpkin Patch, and while I liked him for what he was, I often thought "Yeah, it is more or less a Golden Orb Weaver, minus the intricate web."
That's so funny. I love my dwarfs so much. But I would definitely enjoy keeping a golden orb weaver too...

I'm definitely parting with some of my larger terrestrials at some point. There are a few I really enjoy and those will be the ones that stay. I wasn't even sure on my little pamphobeteus sling, but she's been surprising me lately with how much fun she is now that she's a little bigger and bolder.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Thank you, these are some really good recommendations! I'll keep my eyes peeled for them!

They're just something different. Many people also like them because it's all of the t traits in a smaller package.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Thank you, these are some really good recommendations! I'll keep my eyes peeled for them!

They're just something different. Many people also like them because it's all of the t traits in a smaller package.
A lot of regular sized Ts can fall into dwarf category if they stop growing at 4”. I’ve had obt and t albo do this , although the albo could still potentially get bigger as the obt is no longer around .
regular sized Ts as in 4-6” average size .

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, that is why it is essential to give your spiders regular pep talks if they stop growing at 4 inches. Daily affirmation sort of stuff.
If that does not have the desired effect, threats can be used. "You wanna end up pinned in a display case? A small one? No? then you better start living up to your potential! I didn't pay a hefty sum plus shipping for something I could find on the floor of my basement, you know."

drusila

Arachnopeon
I only ever saw my LP kick hairs around the enclosure right before a molt and she never kicked hairs at me; she preferred to run / hide if disturbed. Hope this helps!

Scoot

Arachnopeon
The alternative to a Lasiodora parahybana? Two Lasiodora parahybanas! :p

Jokes aside, my choice would be Grammostola actaeon or anything Phormictopus.