L. cristata

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone here have L. cristata? ( I believe formerly v. cristata, still working on those names!:rolleyes: )
I have read as much as I could find, just wondering on other people experiences with this species since I will have two of them soon. Thanks in advance...

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an unsexed juv (about 3") that I have raised up from a tiny ling. very easy to care for, I keep it in a tall (12") clear rubbermaid enclosure that has a screw on lid. there are many holes drilled in the lid for ventilation. I give it water in a water bottle cap. I keep the bottom part of the substrate slightly moist and the top of the substrate is dry. it has a burrow that runs all the way to the bottom, it is a very good eater and I feed it heavily. very attractive t. it does not seem overly skittish and it has never flicked hairs (hmmm.......I don't even remember if this sp. has urticating hairs or not).
Ed

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
they are VERY good eaters. Mine matured as male, and went out on a breeding loan. Quite skittish, and you never knew when you opened the container what would happen. Sometimes, the threat position, sometimes running into his hide.
I wouldn't try to handle, that's for sure!
Very easy to care for and hardy too!

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was always told that the only stupid question is an unasked one.
I have been to a few sites to see what the adults look like. I am curious about the spiderlings because I am starting out with the small ones.
I appreciate the input very much, fills in some blanks. ( LOL, seems I have a LOT of those at times!:8o :D )

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Maggie
I was always told that the only stupid question is an unasked one.
I have been to a few sites to see what the adults look like. I am curious about the spiderlings because I am starting out with the small ones.
I appreciate the input very much, fills in some blanks. ( LOL, seems I have a LOT of those at times!:8o :D )
the lings are like many other lings when they are small, many different sp. look the same until they get a bit of size on them, say around 1.5 or 2" or so.
Ed

BTW, mine recently molted, I will see if I can get a picture of it out of its burrow

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Maggie
Does anyone here have L. cristata? ( I believe formerly v. cristata, still working on those names!:rolleyes: )
I have read as much as I could find, just wondering on other people experiences with this species since I will have two of them soon. Thanks in advance...
I think this is one of the most beautiful of all tarantula species. Females get very large--my girl is an easy 7". I got her as a 3/4" sling on 5/14/00. She is definitely mature now; I'd guess she matured at her last molt on October 13, 2002. I raised her on moist substrate as a sling, but switched to dry substrate with a water dish and restricted ventilation once she was 2"+. My observation (from my admittedly limited experience) is that they need much the same care as L. parahybana. Their temperament is much the same as L. parahybana, too: rather skittish, but not inclined to bite. I have heard others who claimed they WERE prone to bite, however, so would advise you to evaluate your own specimen(s) carefully if you ever think about handling it/them.

Mine is a good eater, consuming crickets, superworms, beef heart, and pinkie mice with impartial relish, but I found her less aggressive in this respect than L. parahybana. Whereas my parahybanas will immediately jump on their food if they are going to eat at all, I find my cristata usually won't move in on it until she has recovered from the shock of having her privacy disturbed.

Joy

Last edited:

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now that is an absolutely beautiful T!
I am getting mine this week or possibly the early part of next. It just doesnt seem soon enough.
My daughters are interested but more so in THEIR babies ( a. avics? My memory is getting a little better, imagine that!:D )
I"ll be sure to be careful on evaluating temperment. Been bit once making that particular mistake.