Kukulcania hibernalis

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
This is how far she got with webbing. She likes hanging in the corner a lot and comes out at night.

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

plantecarnivore

Arachnosquire
I was wondering how to know if a female is sexually mature ? I've a few adult males, no doubt about that, but they're not accepted by the females.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Not totally sure but maybe when they get to a nice size/after they lay an egg sac? My female was wild caught and dropped a sac a month ago.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was wondering how to know if a female is sexually mature ?
You might be able to tell by examining the exuviae (molt) under a microscope. The reproductive anatomy should only be fully developed (and sclerotized) in mature females.

I just go by experience and size. (I know how big mature females normally are.)

I've a few adult males, no doubt about that, but they're not accepted by the females.
Courtship can be a drawn-out process. In nature, the male would approach the edge of the female's web and pluck the lines using a special rhythm that says, "I am a suitor, not a meal." Sometimes they even cohabitate for a while after mating.

In captivity, I set them up where the male can court at his leisure instead of dropping him right into the female's enclosure. Still, all of my males have been eaten. Some were eaten so quickly that I thought they could not have paired, but lo and behold, 4-6 weeks later, she makes a fertile egg sac.