King baboon care?

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I was wondering if the King baboon is able to run really fast like the starburst baboon? And their venom strength, heat/humidity needs? thanks!! I'm trying to start a tarantula collection and I'd like to add a baboon to my collection:}

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi everyone, I was wondering if the King baboon is able to run really fast like the starburst baboon? And their venom strength, heat/humidity needs? thanks!! I'm trying to start a tarantula collection and I'd like to add a baboon to my collection:}
Bite Report
This is also a relevant topic.

Here is a good generic care sheet for all T's.

This is a great resource any time you want to start researching.

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
King Baboon

I have a female KB which is almost full-grown. I don't mess with her, I know better, and she is VERY fast and quick. I keep her on the semi-mosit side, as I've read that they need some moisture and decent humidity. I don't know about the potency of their venom...they are VERY slow-growing, but the female can live a long time.....impressive spider....hope this helps

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We classify them as "Obligate Burrowers" because enthusiasts seem to have better luck keeping them if they are allowed enough substrate to dig a burrow. Six inches (15 cm) or a little more is adequate.

One argument has it that keeping these is mostly keeping a pet hole. Others value king baboons highly because it's a real treat to see them once in a great while.

In such a cage they almost always fill their water dish with soil, so it's almost silly to supply them one. Instead, get into the habit of pouring 1/4 to 1/2 cup of room temperature, tap water down the burrow every week or two.

They have among the more potent venoms. When working around the cage I would strongly urge you to wear light, leather garden or work gloves to avoid an accidental bite. If you are bitten, take the spider in its cage, and a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide (Sorry about the self serving plug, but I know that it discusses tarantula bites at length.) with the pages on tarantula bites clearly marked with you to your nearest hospital emergency ward. Have someone else drive you or call an ambulance. DO NOT DRIVE YOURSELF!

Be prepared for pain, tachycardia, cramps, nausea, hot flashes, chills, sweats, and a whole host of other unpleasant symptoms. Symptoms
often last several days to several weeks. If you have any coexisting health issues (e.g., history of heart attack or stroke, asthma or other respiratory problems, allergic reactions or any pain killers, etc.) be sure to tell the attending physician.

I think these are interesting because they look as though they've spent far too much time on a StairMaster (http://www.stairmaster.com/)!