Kinda thinking...

sfmajik

Arachnopeon
of getting a scorpion never had one. So if you can suggest a beginner/not to bad tempered scorp. that would be great! I'm looking for a scorp that is active, colorful and one that won't put me down for the count:D . I have owned some semi-aggressive T's. I just like to watch my T's never handle them I guess I'm careful, well so far anyway. So I don't want that "hot" of a scorp.. Thank you guys for the suggestions.

sfmajik

Arachnopeon
I was thinking Opistophthalmus wahlbergi, is that a good choice? I couldn't find anything on them here. Is there anyone that had experience with this scorpion?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey :)

look for a Hadrurus species or Pandinus species

Opistopthalmus are supposed to be rarely active, whereas these two genera are pretty good beginner scorps!

also Heterometrus species are very nice :p

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you like large scorps, go for Heterometrus sp. But if you're okay with small ones, Vaejovis spinigerus is a good choice. In my experience, they are very active communal species. Nice coloration and a thick metasoma to complete the package.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
for the record, i think most people would agree that v. spinigerus are pretty ill-tempered! they just happen to not have too much reach because they're small, and have weak venom...

cheers! :D
- munis

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spinigerus is fun, but is also very small. If you got your self a heterometrus (my suggestion would be H. laoticus), I think you'd be in good shape. I always get an appearance from my laoticus everynight, wether only one comes out or both. They burrow, but in my expirence not as much as emperors do, not nearly as much I might add. They definently have more attitude than emperors but in they're defense I've never had one even take a swipe at me. They are also far more interesting than all them emperors I've ever had, they seem to be more inquisitive about they're habitat too. The problem with emperors are 1. They usuallly dig ALOT, so in a matter of a week chances are you will barely see it. 2. They are extrememly skiddish and will run back to they're scrape as soon as you lift the cover on the tank, which a lot of scorpions will do, but they seem to be more skiddish than all the other species I've had. 3. EVERYONE has an emperor, so I would go for something which doesn't lie on the beaten path.

Don't get me wrong, emperors are allright, but because they are so readily aviable, a lot of great begginer species are overlooked just because of the simplicity of finding an emp (almost all pet stores have them).

The V spinigerus is great, I love mine, but I reccomend having expirence with a large more hardy scorpion before a small one. After a month or so of getting the feel for the hobby you'll be ready for V spinigerus or most other moderately toxic species. Plus, after you make a nice setup with your big scorpions, you can have a nice shelf with a bunch of delicups for your small ones, which don't require a "grand" setup like larger species usually do.

So my vote is go for H laoticus and I can almost guarentee you'll be happy. Plus whenever you say you have a scorpion and peoples first response is "what an emperor?" you can say NOPE! I like to be differenet, so this is what I have.

But don't let me decide for you, if you want to start with am emp because you were eyeing them out, by all means go for it. But I enjoy heterometrus far more than any of my pandinus.

BEST OF LUCK, WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

Ed

EDIT: Adding to what musihuto said, they are extremely fast too and being so small, if one every hit the floor by accident, I'd bet you can kiss it goodbye. Here is a size comparison for you and I will put pictures of both heterometrus and v spinigerus if I have time to resize them.

ADULT PANDINUS/HETEROMETRUS
[_______________________________]
ADULT VAEJOVIS SPINIGERUS
[________]

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As promised, here is a visual aid for you.

H laoticus

V spinigerus

sfmajik

Arachnopeon
Wow really guys thanks! I'm glad to be apart of a forum that is active. Although I went with a Pandinus imperator just to get a feel for it but, I will be attending the reptile swap in IL Feb. 4th, Sunday. Hopefully, thats superbowl day.:D I will be looking forward to picking up some more. I do like the thought of the Heterometrus sp.. So how do you sex these things? What is that hanging little wing thing underneath the scorpion? Well here are some pics.

all pics courtesy from my cell phone.

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The wing things are the scorp's pectines. They are a sensory organ, they are also use to sex the scorps. Males usually have larger pectines with more teeth than females. Unfortunately I don't know the pectine count of P.imperator.