Kid has a question

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My four year old son just loves our T's. He always has new questions for me about them daily, but today he stumped me....he asked me do they have tongues? That caught me off guard, and I realized I had no idea:? Can anyone help me with this question.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
My four year old son just loves our T's. He always has new questions for me about them daily, but today he stumped me....he asked me do they have tongues? That caught me off guard, and I realized I had no idea:? Can anyone help me with this question.
Um.. nope. :)

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope they dont the have more like an opening that they use to suck things through..... but they cant taste..... imagine if they could though :rolleyes:

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dead crix can't taste too good. their lucky they can't taste

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Talkinlate04, I didn't think so, but I was not sure. Don't want to lead my little boy astray! Thanks again

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my mom asked me that last week, i know they don't but just try to picture a tarantula with a tounge! i couldn't stop laughing, i kept picturing one sticking its tounge out at me

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nope they dont the have more like an opening that they use to suck things through..... but they cant taste..... imagine if they could though :rolleyes:
As others have corrected already, they "taste" with numerous chemoreceptors on their palps and first legs. Their ability to "taste" and react is phenomenal. Many have reported their tarantulas lunging and grabbing their fingers, most likely mistaking it for a prey item, but releasing the finger just as quickly as they pounced because as soon as the palps and first legs made contact they realise that it doesn't taste like a small, edible insect.

hyena65 said:
but today he stumped me....he asked me do they have tongues? That caught me off guard, and I realized I had no idea Can anyone help me with this question.
There are insects that have a mouthpart analogous to a tongue (the hypopharynx) - think back to your lubber grasshopper dissection in biology. Tarantulas, on the other hand, lack any analogous structure. Their mouth consists of a small hole at the vertex of a triangular groove with numerous angled hairs to guide fluids and filter solids. They have protuberances on their large chelicerae that can be thought of as teeth. These movement of these "teeth", along with the action of the fangs, allow them to masticate their prey into a mush that when mixed with digestive enzymes secreted from the mouth and nearby accessory glands allows them to liquefy everything but chitin to be sucked into the small hole.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Code Monkey I am always blown away by your posts in the fact that you are so smart.

Have you written any books on T's or insects?

If so is there a way to read them or buy them??

I somtimes read your posts at least 3 times no shi! dude.

:clap: