keeping your ( T. S ) in the bedroom

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i used to keep mine in the bedroom because of roommates and space (i had 1-13 or so). now they take up a living room wall. my hubby likes the bedroom cold at night, and there isn't much space for 120+ t's + bugs in there...

when we move, i'm getting a critter room. :D
me and my bugs go through a 40-50*F seasonal shift

at night during the coldest part of winter my room was 49*F and last summer during the hottest part of the day, near the ceiling my room got to 101*F. this summer my room has only gotten up to 93-95*F, cuz i am in a different house

it was quite amusing during coldtime. my bugs just stopped moving... some in fairly amusing positions heh

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I used to keep all my spiders in the bedroom, but now there are just too many for that. All I have in here now is a wild caught G. pulchra that is being quarantined from the rest of my collection and a small B. klaasi who will soon be in the hall closet with the rest.

My husband didn't like having all of them in the bedroom, he expressed concern over the urticating hair that he thought must be flying all over the room. Also we had some spiders that were rather noisy, climbing all over the cages and whatnot. And the crickets were annoying.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks again guys and girls :clap: :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: :worship: :) ---- phil

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Having room airconditioning at night set at 23 dec C -- will this have an adverse impact on your Ts?
no one touched on this, so il tell you one of my experiences.

if i had my way i would sleep in 40*F weather year round, but my Ts wouldnt like that so much.

three summers ago when i first started keeping them in my room(only had one A.avic in there at the time) i had a fatality because of the air conditioner.

the A/C dries out the air something aweful, and it just so happened the avic decided to molt in one of the hottest heat waves in years, though i could have suffered with using it a bit less for the well being of my spiders, but i didnt know better at the time.

so i had the AC running for a few days which dried out the air faster then i could mist, which caused the spider to have a bad molt and consequently died because of it.

the past two summers ive kept the AC off as long as i can stand. on those disgustingly hot nights when i have to have it on in order to not drown in my own sweat, i mist all my tanks very well before i go to sleep. durring the hot days i just close the shades and keep the tank lights off.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep tons and tons of mostly scorps, but some adult female T's in my room. I feed them in here and everything, and no one would ever suspect a thing if I didnt tell them i have them. (big closets :} )

No problem whatsoever with smell, as I tend to keep things clean and vacuum atleast once a week. My house smells good actually, which is more that i can say for some of my friends' houses who keep multiple dogs or cats inside.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it weren't for my misses, my 16 T's would all be sharing my room. So now they are in my office which is where I spend most of my time at home. Hehe.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep a couple in my bedroom along with my African Grey parrot and my two cats who have the run of the place. At the other end of the house I have a T room where I keep 18 or so. I also keep a couple on my desk in the study.

I love to get up late and try to catch my H maculata out{D

The only thing that stinks is the two large KK's which house my crix, I clean them out once a week, and get rid of the dead and dying daily, if you stay on top of it there is lil or no smell.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
t's in the bedroom

i have had them in the bedroom at one time.wife put a stop to that.i have 32 tarantulas now and they have their own room with bearded dragons.:D

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i used to have all of my animals in my room and the worst roomate was by far the monitor.. it dosent matter if you change the watter twice a day those shits stink. as far as the T's are conserned they arnt bad at all.. the cricket noises drive me crazy though so i rip the wings off of all the males before i feed them out.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My entire collection is on a 36"W X 20"L X 6' tall shelf.

It looks a bit crowded, but anytime someone comes in there they automatically want the tour.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep 66 spiders, 2 mantids and a colony of roaches in my room (aswell as a rat and 3 mice). It doesnt smell or anything! Spider collection is building up now so im trying to sort out a spider room for breeding etc :D

My boyfriend doesn't really mind the spiders so it's all good lol

Water spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only have one room in my flat...

And toilet where I keep my roaches and quarantined animals.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how about if any escapes what would you do as its in the bedroom :eek: :eek: ~~~~ PHIL

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep about 15 Ts, 8 pedes and my roaches in the bedroom without too many objections from my wife until one gets out....THEN im sure the wife will make me move 'em.....

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how about if any escapes what would you do as its in the bedroom :eek: :eek: ~~~~ PHIL
i've never had anythign deadly or even seriously nasty escape... but i've had a number of local species escape into my room... most all i found bodies of later, though

let me see if i can do the list

4 Centruroides vittatus (left container open. all recovered) (mature thru ~4i)
X C. vittatus (dropped a container which burst open. unknown number escaped, theoretically all recovered) (all ages)

X Latrodectus sp. Laos (seperating eggsac... oopsies, expect all perished)
X Latrodectus geometricus (ditto... maybe some lived. i'm glad in in geo range already!)

~25 Scolopendra morsitans "Egyptian emerald centipede" (babies escaped through air holes... recovered ~7-9 still alive, recoverd 10+ bodies, assume all perished)
2-3 Scolopendra polymorpha (dropsies, all but most recent recovered as unquickened bodies. largest is about 3"BL)

1 Calisoga longitarsus (ran off hand. unbelievably fast mygalomorphs that live in CA natively. tiny sling. i'm conflicted on this one... don't want to spread species unnaturally... but a shame for it to die)

all these were roaming around my room, randomly. aside from being sad i am an idiot i was not, and am not worried in the least about them.

i have free range, native Latrodectus hesperus in my room a decent portion of the time.

ahahah
i forgot about the early days when i had some praying mantids. i had a couple oothecae worth of nymphs escape into my room. i had a Sphrodomantis species that i managed to bad husbandry kill all but two of the nymphs of that i retained or recaptured... about a month or two later i recaptured a third living nymph... BIGGER than the two i was caring for!

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Lets see, I've had-

10 C. fimbriatus
1 H. marginata
2 P. fasciata
2 P. cambridgei
1 P. pulcher

escape and live in my room. Didn't bother me a bit.

-Sean

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive have two escapes in my bedroom both of which were slings so i was more worried about loosing the spider then i cared about sleeping with them loose in the room. one of my 3/4" c.crayshawi slings escaped a year ago, never seen him since. one 1/2" b.bohemei sling escaped about 3-4 years ago, i actualy found him about 10 months later sitting on the wall behind my drapes feeding on a house fly. he grew a little over an inch since the escape, probably feeding on those damn crickets that always get out.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep all of mine in my room, and I have had P. regalis escape from the communal - got them all back - but being in my room I would look for them and hope they havent gone out the open windows.

I've not had a problem with them, but there's always that singing cricket they havent eaten yet.....

LMS

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the past, all of my animals were in my room. My bed was litterally surruounded by aquariums. But ever since I've moved to the house I'm at now, I'm lucky enough to have a pet room. If you have the option, I think such a room is extreamly useful. For one any smell/noise is contained in an area where you don't sleep. Two there is alot more space for new additons when you don't have to worry about your beb, dresser, book shelves, ect. It also gives a nice presentation to any visitors. ~ Rex