keeping your ( T. S ) in the bedroom

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi how many of you keep your tarantulas in your bedrooms as i was thinking of moving my small collection in to my bedroom as i would have more space to work with them e.g . feeding / watering / and all other jobs that need doing / so apart from any of them escaping is there any other downside to having them in the bedroom thanks ---- PHIL

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have tons of bugs and sometimes they are a bit noisy. my room also smells a bit like a zoo. *i* personally like the smell but i have been told by many people that i shouldn't reasonably expect to get girls in there.

i say, i am not interested in a girl who is repelled by such a relatively inconsequential thing. heh.

for the record, i keep 6 roach colonies totalling something like 3000-5000 roaches, 10-15 adult tarantulas, ~10 subadult, ~10 juv, and dozens upon dozens of slings... plus probably another ~100+ assorted other individually caged pet predator bugs

it does tend to make my room very cluttered. and i have to brush my feet off before i put my socks on in the morning cuz of all the sub on the floor. heh.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have everything except the parakeets in my room. it's nice to have such quick access to everything.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are all in my room, i guess the red lights add ambiance to it when a girl comes over lol....

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 9 spiders and a gecko in my room. I like the cricket noises :)

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Everything I have (more reptiles then inverts) is in my room. With a relatively small collection (7 animals all told), the only things that smell are the crickets if they start to die and the big red ear slider I have if I let his water get... turtley. Thankfully, the pets seem to attract the types of girls I hang out with rather then scare them off :p. And really, think of it as a filtering mechanism.. if she's scared off by a few/many/thousands of inverts, do you really want her around anyway?

The mess can be a bit of a problem though if you don't like dirt/calcium powder/moss littering your bedroom.

Come september when I go back to school I'm gonna be setting up my (much larger basement room) so MY living quarters are on one side, and then I'll put down a plastic sheet and some shelving on the other side and keep the pets over there. A similar setup might be worth considering if you have the space.

PS: escaped crickets in the bedsheets are NEVER cool. And some people don't like the noise. Personally I can't sleep without chirping in the background.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
being as i rent a room , i keep all my critters there . snakes , T's and rats all have a place . it's a bit crowded for me , but i like it .

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here here for the red ambience! We fall asleep every night to the sound of pissed off hissers and the sweet smell of substrate...{D

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have 16 (soon to be 18) T's in my room and an iguana. =D

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Having room airconditioning at night set at 23 dec C -- will this have an adverse impact on your Ts? during the day when I am at work, the room can get really hot and humid. Given these conditions, can I also keep the Ts in my room?

BTW, I am quoting my situation here in the Philippines...

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We added a communal tank of A. avics to the bedroom recently (along with the obt communal) and I've noticed a new "muggy" in the bedroom... So that gave me a good excuse to go buy a new fan...lmao. Tarantula keeping is good for the economy, I guess? {D

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I actually keep most of my pets in my walk-in closet, as the boas heat keeps the closet around 80 degrees, so I have Boas, T's, Roaches haha...

Doesn't smell too bad but I only have 16 T's, most are slings, 2 small roach colonies and some pinhead crix, rats are kept in the freezer {D

Only time it really smells is if roaches die or a snake poops...

I also keep them in my closet cause of our cat and we rent as well...

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i keep all mine in my bedroom. and the few girls i've had over, no matter how scared they are, still want to see the T's ;P

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before we got rid of the fat room mate, we kept most of our T's in our bedroom, plus our 4 snakes. Now that we have a spare room again, all of the T's and snakes are in there except for our ball python. We never had any problems having them in the bedroom, but feeding is easier now, our room is small and we have a big bed, there wasn't much room for moving around to feed.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's nice when you have that bit of insomnia and you just walk to steps pull out a tiny flash light and see what's going on, but the chirping of crickets can drive one crazy enough to rip of the wings {D

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i used to keep mine in the bedroom because of roommates and space (i had 1-13 or so). now they take up a living room wall. my hubby likes the bedroom cold at night, and there isn't much space for 120+ t's + bugs in there...

when we move, i'm getting a critter room. :D

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have 8 T's, 3 Scorps, 3 chameleons, 1 savannah monitor, 1 water dragon, 4 snakes, 1 crested gecko, and 1 tokay gecko all in my room :) I love waking up in the middle of the night and being able to just watch them all. It would be weird not having them in my room.