Keeping them outside?

electra

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about leaving T's outside? I live in West Palm Beach, Florida. The humidity in the house while the air conditioning is on is low, but outside, its 60-80%. I have a screened in patio around the back of the house, so no bugs. Am I going to harm them leaving them there? I can't think of any bad repercussions, but I thought I would ask. Your input is appreciated.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nah

Nah there shouldnt b a problem it actually might help them and if it feels 2 hott 4 u outside bring em in so they dont get 2 hott and die!!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
as long as the conditions were ok, I don't think there would be a problem, BUT I'd caution against it simply because there are bigger animals that we will label as predators. Sure the T's can hide if a big bird swooped down and tried to peck into the enclosure, but they would find the T quickly if entrance is gained because there is a limit to how far the T can burrow or hide.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ANTS! ANTS!:eek: we are the ant capital of the world{D i'm in fla. aswell to be on the safe side i'd keep them inside,i have a huge collection and wouldn't think of putting them outside, heat,pests etc. just my opinion i defintly would not,cause if you know fla. you never know what's out there{D again just my 2cents:)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in Florida too. I occasionally put some of my hardier/larger T's and scorps outside in my screened in porch this time of year. Ants aren't a problem for me, and the screen that surrounds the porch is small enough to keep any little pesty bugs out. I keep their cages off the ground just as an extra precaution. Make sure their cages are in the shade and out of the rain, an aquarium left in direct sunlight can easily reach temps that can cook a T like an oven! This time of year is perfect outside weather for some of my species. Super humid and temps in the high 80's. They really seem to thrive and be much more active when kept outside. Just be extra vigilant for things like mites and mold. I've never had any problems with it, but it might not be right for everyone based on location/needs.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As long as you avoid direct sunlight I don't think you will have much of a problem. I kinda wished I lived in places like AZ and FL so I could do something like that. But you have to avoid ALL direct sunlight. So if you put them outside make sure your 100% sure it is in the shade all day.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I should add that I only do this for 6 months out of the year (the warmer months). Although we don't have much of a winter here in FL, I find it best to bring all my little guys inside sometime around august or september, just in case there is a freak cold snap or something. Wouldn't want to freeze my T's :eek:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm in miami and it gets too hot down here to keep them outside. specially in july/august. i keep them in a temp. controlled room and crack the window half way open 3-4 times a week. and like beetleman said, ANTS. there are so many small bugs down here i would not feel comfortable leaving them outside. i was once told by a wise native botanist that you can grow anything in the world down here and it will thrive, IF you can keep the bugs away. bugs are the #1 killers of plants in south florida. :cool:

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beetlman's point about fire ants is a good one, they might crawl in the cage for water or something. It is really hot in Aug and Sep, but if there is good air circulation they might be alright. But I would put anythin like a rosehair outside, they wouldn't like the humidity.