Keeping substrate for another scorp..?

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, a month ago my h. arizonensis died.. He had about 12cm high of sand w/ gravel in a 10g tank... It would be a big waste (considering the time it took to take all the sand and bake it in the oven) if I had to put it in the garbage..

I was thinking of taking back only the gravel (as its aquarium gravel = $$) and puting the sand in the garbage.. but can I keep it?

I don't think my h. arizonensis died from a disease. If I can keep it, am I obligated to put it back in the oven, or can I keep it non-cleaned for another desert scorp?

The health of the future scorp is important for me (isn't it for everyone? :)), if there's any risks of infections or anything (it'll probably won't another h. arizonensis), tell me :)

Thanks, Frank

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What humidity where you keeping it at sometimes too much moistore can kill this species.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Substrate can be reused, but I'll recommend it to be boiled in water, or you can bake it again. Boiling it for a few minutes is usually enough, then dry it out. It doesn't take as much time as baking it, for me, but may be opposite for you.

adios,
edw. :D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jp: It wasn't humidity, humidity was the last thing I was giving to my h. arizonensis :) Looks like he died of old age (after I kept him for a year.. WC..)

Ed: then I'll probably take all the sand and gravel together, try to clean it (remove any cricket's legs that got lost in the sand...:)) and bake it..

Thanks, Frank

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats too bad Frank hadrurus is such a nice species you try try them again maybe spadix this time.:D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, I loved my h. arizonensis, next time I'll see a CB one, I'll buy it right away :)

Frank

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
*lol* Frank, it might be a while. As you already know, CB are pretty hard to get hands on. Sorry I didn't ever reply to your PM. If I recall, it was because your sent messages folder was full.

adios,
edw. ;)

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know about CB :) I'm just gonna wait :) I'm ready to wait.. I'll only buy WC animals if I plan to breed them :)

For the PMs.. well I cleared my box, please answer when you'll get time!

Thanks, Frank