Keeping Larinioides sclopetarius

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Have any of you tried keeping L. sclopetarius? They're extremely abundant here in the Midwest, and seem to build webs in any available corner. However, when I've tried keeping them indoors, they refuse to create their typical orb web, regardless of the type of enclosure they're in. If any of you have had luck keeping them, or have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I've been known to let large Aranea orbweavers "free range" in my house. If you keep them well fed they usually build their web in the same place, and if you lose them it's easy to find them again at night with a flashlight.

Obviously this isn't an option if you have intolerant housemates, but if you're lucky they won't even notice the spiders- and if they do you can pretend to be equally surprised by that giant web appearing in the bathroom :p

Just don't let them build a web over your bed. They'll poop on your face.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
I've been known to let large Aranea orbweavers "free range" in my house. If you keep them well fed they usually build their web in the same place, and if you lose them it's easy to find them again at night with a flashlight.

Obviously this isn't an option if you have intolerant housemates, but if you're lucky they won't even notice the spiders- and if they do you can pretend to be equally surprised by that giant web appearing in the bathroom :p

Just don't let them build a web over your bed. They'll poop on your face.

I'm trying to keep them in a lab. We'd like them to build webs in enclosures so we can study their web building behavior. That's harder to do when they've taken up residence in a corner on the ceiling

We have lots of spiders in the lab already, so my lab mates won't care if I do end up with some escapees.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Perhaps you could create an open frame for them to build their web in while still keeping them somewhat contained? Like, two wooden sticks with the bottoms submerged in bowls of water with a third stick connecting them.
That sort of setup would probably make observing and filming their web building behavior very easy. Just make sure to provide a rolled up piece of paper or some leaves in which the spider can retire.