Keeping insects in a shed outside...

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So when we move to a new house mom plans to put a shed (a good one, one of the higher quality premade sheds) out in the back yard for my insects that I breed. We will have electricity out there. But I keep various species that have relatively different requirements... as far as heat etc. All of my current species are within the same range of each other as far as heat requirements except my silkworms. Though they do better with warmer conditions they don't need to go as high as some of my roaches etc. I will also get various other species too...
I mean... I assume in a shed outside they would warm up enough in the warm months that heat tape on a thermostat would work well. But would that be most cost effective? I am hoping to eventually be able to put in some solar panels (even just a few) because where I live I could easily collect enough solar energy to not only pay my entire electricity bill but make some money back as well. Any ideas?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Be careful your setups don't get invaded by ants. I did this once, and ants invaded...not fun.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ants, yes, I hadn't considered that with a shed. I've had carpenter ants sneak in the house bug room and rip apart a molting Hadogenes scorpion. I also plan to go a similar route, with taking this stuff out of the house. Things can get out, sometimes flies pop up, spider webs, etc. I'm the only one that lives in my house so there is nobody else to complain but I understand moving this stuff out. I plan on getting small acreage sooner or later and maybe modifying a shipping container if I'm still interested. When the shed shows up you might want to fill any cracks, especially closest to the floor. There is a product that comes in a spray can called "flexseal", something like that. You could spray it in thin cracks to help prevent ants from coming in, quick and easy. Some other co. makes a similar spray. There might be something better to use. It might get over 100 degrees in the shed where you live(?) I believe there are inexpensive solar powered vent fans you could install.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I have a whole shed of bugs. Honestly I haven't had problems with ants except for once with Iridomyrmex ants. If you apply something like fluon to the sides of each enclosure ants shouldn't be a problem, I'd be more concerned with pests like mites and other parasites. Another thing you should watch out for is animals from outside getting in and interrupting a moulting invert (not fun). Best of luck!