Keeping humidity for Pamphos

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was thinking of looking for a pampho about 2-3 inches in size. I don't have the materials to create a cage with really awesome cross ventilation (as I hear they need humidity). I was thinking of getting a small cage with a vented top and covering it with plastic. Will this work? I really want to get into the birdeaters, so I thought they'd be a good start. Any info and pictures would help. Thanks :D

cold blood

Staff member
You're completely over-thinking this. Just keep the sub damp...when it dries out, add water....keep a large water dish and provide a burrow....feed generously.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're completely over-thinking this. Just keep the sub damp...when it dries out, add water....keep a large water dish and provide a burrow....feed generously.
Really? Good to know. Nice to know all I'm doing is over thinking it :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The only specimen in my collection that has cross ventilation is an A. avicularia. Ah, the great myth of cross ventilation. You either have good ventilation or bad ventilation, there isn't much gray area at all. Some users swear that there is such a thing as too much ventilation. To them, I strongly disagree. "Too much" ventilation simply means that you'll need to dampen the substrate more often.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The only specimen in my collection that has cross ventilation is an A. avicularia. Ah, the great myth of cross ventilation. You either have good ventilation or bad ventilation, there isn't much gray area at all. Some users swear that there is such a thing as too much ventilation. To them, I strongly disagree. "Too much" ventilation simply means that you'll need to dampen the substrate more often.

You're in a hot, dry climate. Caging and conditions are going to be vary for people in other climates. There is no one-size-fits-all.

I think you can have too much ventilation, as the spider can be subject to hot/cold vents, fumes, chemicals, smoke from the kitchen, etc. A 10 gallon aquarium with a screen top and wet substrate to compensate is hardly ideal. I think there needs to be a microclimate. We take rainforest animals and put them in the highly artificial conditions of our home. They're not all going to be comfortable when we are.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You're in a hot, dry climate. Caging and conditions are going to be vary for people in other climates. There is no one-size-fits-all.

I think you can have too much ventilation, as the spider can be subject to hot/cold vents, fumes, chemicals, smoke from the kitchen, etc. A 10 gallon aquarium with a screen top and wet substrate to compensate is hardly ideal. I think there needs to be a microclimate. We take rainforest animals and put them in the highly artificial conditions of our home. They're not all going to be comfortable when we are.
I absolutely agree that there isn't one size fits all with husbandry, I'm definitely the poster child of that. However, as you'd agree, a stuffy cage is far more dangerous than one with abundant ventilation. That goes for any climate. I'd lean towards over ventilation rather than under any day.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I keep my B. emelia in a 10 gallon with no wetness and a water bowl, and she does fine. I know she's a desert species, but if I got some humidity holding dirt and wet the substrate every few days, would it work? Btw, for climate, I live in Illinois. In other words, not very humid of a place :/

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I keep my B. emelia in a 10 gallon with no wetness and a water bowl, and she does fine. I know she's a desert species, but if I got some humidity holding dirt and wet the substrate every few days, would it work? Btw, for climate, I live in Illinois. In other words, not very humid of a place :/
But... why would you? I don't follow the logic. It's an arid species - I needs no additional humidity ever. Bone dry.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But... why would you? I don't follow the logic. It's an arid species - I needs no additional humidity ever. Bone dry.
Sorry, might not have clarified. I mean the exact same setup (only smaller) for the pampho. No humidity for my B. emelia, but for a pampho it might work with just wetting the substrate and getting humidity holding dirt, even with all of the grating on the top.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I was thinking of looking for a pampho about 2-3 inches in size. I don't have the materials to create a cage with really awesome cross ventilation (as I hear they need humidity). I was thinking of getting a small cage with a vented top and covering it with plastic. Will this work? I really want to get into the birdeaters, so I thought they'd be a good start. Any info and pictures would help. Thanks :D
I have 4 P Platyommas I keep a water dish full of water (a good amount of water) the substrate is dry and my Platyommas are always out.

I have about to 6-7 holes on both of the long ends of all their enclosures.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have 4 P Platyommas I keep a water dish full of water (a good amount of water) the substrate is dry and my Platyommas are always out.

I have about to 6-7 holes on both of the long ends of all their enclosures.
I also have a sp. "Platyomma". I keep it on moist substrate and it is always out as well, so I don´t know if it being out and about is a good argument for keeping it either way.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I was just stating how I keep it, I never said it was the "model" way.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I also have a sp. "Platyomma". I keep it on moist substrate and it is always out as well, so I don´t know if it being out and about is a good argument for keeping it either way.

+1. I also keep my Pamphos on moist substrate.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have a 4" female P. cambridgei and a P. irminia sling. I keep the irminia's substrate a little bit damp but with pretty good ventilation in the enclosure (32 oz deli container) and a bottle cap water dish. For my P. cambridgei I have a decent size water dish and occasionally will wet various (rotating so as not to attract mold) parts of the sub, but not make it fully damp. The irminia's enclosure has side and top ventilation and the cambridgei's enclosure has only side ventilation. They both seem to be doing fine.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 4" female P. cambridgei and a P. irminia sling. I keep the irminia's substrate a little bit damp but with pretty good ventilation in the enclosure (32 oz deli container) and a bottle cap water dish. For my P. cambridgei I have a decent size water dish and occasionally will wet various (rotating so as not to attract mold) parts of the sub, but not make it fully damp. The irminia's enclosure has side and top ventilation and the cambridgei's enclosure has only side ventilation. They both seem to be doing fine.
Thanks for the info! P. Cambridgei is the first arboreal I want to get (Avics I'm just not interested in right now). Thanks for the care info, thinking of getting one about 2-3 inches too.