keeping humid species

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
how do you guys keep your humid species just asking cause i know that some of you guys live in dryer places and some in more humid

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I keep them in enclosures with cross ventilation to avoid mould or fungi. Then I add water to the substrate to keep it slightly moist. That´s pretty much it :) Oh, and I live in an area with very dry air, especially during winter.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
by pouring water into substrate. how much and how often depends on which species.

cold blood

Staff member
I keep them in enclosures with cross ventilation to avoid mould or fungi. Then I add water to the substrate to keep it slightly moist. That´s pretty much it :) Oh, and I live in an area with very dry air, especially during winter.
That's it ^^^...humidity is a poor description IMO, yet its the most commonly used term. Worry less about the moisture in the air and more about moisture in the substrate. You do not need a hygrometer.

Simplify...its really as easy as providing good ventilation and keeping part of or in some cases, most of the substrate moist....when it dries, add water.

During times of dryness (or in dry climates), this means more frequent additions of water, during humid times (or in consistently humid climates), you will need to add much less moisture as the evap will be occurring at a much slower pace. Add too much during these times and you have problems quickly...In TX, probably not a worry for you.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am the same as this ^ :D

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
For my P. metallica's adult enclosure, I buried a straw in the substrate so all I have to do is add water with a squeeze bottle and that works really well. Other than that, just use lots of sphagnum moss to avoid mold/retain moisture and make sure you have s decent amount of cross vent.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For my P. metallica's adult enclosure, I buried a straw in the substrate so all I have to do is add water with a squeeze bottle and that works really well. Other than that, just use lots of sphagnum moss to avoid mold/retain moisture and make sure you have s decent amount of cross vent.
I do something similar. I use syringes and inject water into the sub. I like your idea though, reminds me of dart frog tanks.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I live in a very dry climate, and humidity was a steep learning curve for me as well.

You've already got great advice in here, so I won't parrot it. I will add that you should learn to read your spiders. If they're hovering over the water dish or hanging out in that corner at all hours, then perhaps try bumping up the humidity. If they're constantly wandering and won't settle down, then it's likely too moist.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get some off of Amazon, and I order blunt tip "needles", aka liquid dispensers in the machinery sector. If you want name of vendor, let me know, they are a Mom/Pop outfit and really nice too.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I get some off of Amazon, and I order blunt tip "needles", aka liquid dispensers in the machinery sector. If you want name of vendor, let me know, they are a Mom/Pop outfit and really nice too.
Appreciate it but for little ones i use the syrnge that comes w/baby medicine and for my larger enclosures i use the blunt syrnges my wife brings me home (she works in the medical field).
Sometimes a sterilised pak is compromised so they cant use them for patient care and throw them out so she will bring a few of the "soon to be" discarded ones for me :)
Bless her lol

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Good cross ventilation, substrate depth, and a bit of desert sand mixed with eco earth. Only need to re moisten the sub maybe once a month.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I directly put those on my natural humid & comfortable warm cellar, where I have a nice assortment of frogs which I love to raise as mere food: my food, I mean. An habit that we share with other frog-luvers, those neighbours speaking a bizarre language, worldwide knowed as French :kiss:

:troll:

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
A basting syringe works pretty well too. Though I mainly use some I get from a fountain pen store.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I don't keep any humid species, but have been considering enclosure design for them. Has anyone tried something similar to a vivarium setup with a false bottom? That is, a layer of clay balls covered with netting topped with substrate?

Conceivably with a foam backdrop you could carve out a space for a piece of 3/4" PVC (or any tube, really) that reaches down to the false bottom to add water as needed.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I don't keep any humid species, but have been considering enclosure design for them. Has anyone tried something similar to a vivarium setup with a false bottom? That is, a layer of clay balls covered with netting topped with substrate?

Conceivably with a foam backdrop you could carve out a space for a piece of 3/4" PVC (or any tube, really) that reaches down to the false bottom to add water as needed.
This is the kind of thing which would benefit from first testing existing enclosures to see if they can maintain a high humidity. Elaborate constructions may be unnecessary.