Keep or release tree frog?

Katya

Arachnopeon
Hi y'all! Last week I caught and brought home an Eastern Grey Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor). I didn't plan to keep him for long before releasing him back into the wild. But for this week I have been feeding him pet store crickets. Now my brother says that's horrible because now I could bring diseases from those crickets into the tree frog's new environment, where I to release it after it's had them.

Now is that true? Or would it be perfectly safe to release him somewhere and he just goes back to wild food? I could keep him, and I would love that.....but I guess that brings me to one other question: how much do they need to eat?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Release where you found it- would you like to be captured by giants?
No on diease!

Last edited:

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Now my brother says that's horrible because now I could bring diseases from those crickets into the tree frog's new environment, where I to release it after it's had them.
"Put that thing back where it came from or so help meeee!"
- Mike Wasowski

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Hi y'all! Last week I caught and brought home an Eastern Grey Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor). I didn't plan to keep him for long before releasing him back into the wild. But for this week I have been feeding him pet store crickets. Now my brother says that's horrible because now I could bring diseases from those crickets into the tree frog's new environment, where I to release it after it's had them.

Now is that true? Or would it be perfectly safe to release him somewhere and he just goes back to wild food? I could keep him, and I would love that.....but I guess that brings me to one other question: how much do they need to eat?
The experts seem to agree with your brother. You're stuck with it for life. I'd refer to Dendroboard for frog care. They're primarily dart frog oriented, but some of them know tree frogs too. You'll need to calcium dust your crickets at some point. By the way, get ready for a guilt trip over there too, about wild caught animals.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Two things
1. Wild frogs often harbor heavy parasitic loads anyway and can be difficult to acclimate to captivity.
2.From a business perspective, its in the best interest of commercial cricket breeders to sell healthy feeders and as such they do have a degree of quality control and bio security.
-However, nothing is life is guaranteed. Ideally its best to put the frog back where you found it but I doubt a few store bought crickets are going to cause the end of the world as we know it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@viper69 @CutThroat Kid @Dandrobates For better or worse I put him back where I found him! Hopefully he'll be fine

@Introvertebrate I had already released him when I got this :/ I think it'll be okay....I'll be more mindful next time :)

Thank you guys for answering!
Haha I use to catch frogs and toads , but I always let them go soon after . Or didn’t catch just watched them , maybe try a captive bread one next . I’ve never kept one as a pet .