k.hibernalis lifespan?

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have read a few articles that mention that k.hibernalis are long lived compared to other true spiders, what is the approximate lifespan of a female?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had some females for going on five years now, and they were adults when I caught them. They're still thriving-no signs of "old age", lol! I've observed wild females living in the same hole for even longer, so I'm going to agree with the 10-12 years that I've read. I know it takes seemingly forever for these to mature; I've got cb spiders that I've had for three years, and they're still more or less thumbnail size, small in comparison to some of my adult females, who have the legspan of a smallish tarantula, if not the bulk. These grow like Aphonopelmas, apparently, so I'm wondering if it doesn't take a female 10 years just to reach full size!

pitbulllady

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow those are really awesome spiders! Thank you both for the info! Now i just need to get one! hehe ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't know these lived that long and didn't know the interest about them was out there. I read a few days ago that 8 years was an average, a lot of conflicting data out there about almost everything. I have these spiders in my house. I usually leave them there, they clean up other bugs real well. I saw a big one the other day when I dropped a screw behind the stove. I pulled out the stove and there it was(and a recluse). It was really big so I caught it because I thought I knew somebody that might want it. Turned out they didn't have anymore room so I let it run back under the stove. I didn't know it, but it walked back out from under the stove into the middle of the floor. I turned around and stepped on it:( . Here's a pic I took of it, it was just before this thread was posted.

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow they really are amazing spiders! Sad we don't have em here in Quebec! heheh

draconian22

Arachnopeon
Wow they really are amazing spiders! Sad we don't have em here in Quebec! heheh
Amanda from Tarantula Canada has had them available in the past. I had a sling but sadly it died shortly after I got it(too much humidity me thinks).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think of these as halfway in between the tarantula/mygalomorphs and the true/araneomorph spiders

like tarantulas female Kuk's can mate, produce an eggsac, molt... and do it all again!

when i first started bug hunting i got tricked a fair amount of times into thinking i had caught my first, albeit juv, tarantula.... but these things make cribellate that is quite different from tarantulas... so once i started looking at webbing AND the spider in it i got tricked considerably less... now they don't look like tarantulas at all to me :)