Just want to show that those canned feeders can work

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im talking about the canned insects that a few companies have out, not the freeze dried kind but the kind sealed in cans like crickets, mealworms, grasshoppers ect ect. I use them sometimes though I always hear they dont work. Well i cant speak for all animals but i can say they have worked for my slings. Although they smell like crap, its nice not having to deal with live feeders all the time, or as much at least. Heres a pic of my G. rosea sling eating a JurassiPet EasiDiet small mealworm. (http://www.jurassipet.com/Products/EasiDiets.html)

Just thought id post it incase people are looking for alternatives to live prey. I dont know if adults take it but i can say ive seen lots of my slings accept it. Just drop it in and come back 10 mins later and the sling will be feasting:) . Though i still love watching slings jump on live crickets, its nice to have an alternative to live prey sometimes.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting. i didn't even know about those. How long is it good for once you open the can and refridgerate it? What is its storage life before opening? Is it high in sodium like canned people food? Do they use any preservatives? Does the label say what kind of perservatives? i tried to look up all of this on their website but they didn't have that information. i even looked on their MSDS pdf files. i think it would be a handy thing to have on hand but don't know if i could handle the smell - does it actually smell worse than live crickets...?? YUCK!!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think one problem you may run into is that the canned feeders will generally not contain much in the way of water. Tarantulas get a high percentage of their hydration from the prey you eat and the canned feeders with the lower water content could be problematic. If you do use them it would be absolutely necessary to provide a water dish.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
exactly. the hydration issue would be the biggest deterrent in me getting those.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I prefer to give my T's live preys, I will never give them canned or dead preys. :evil:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i bet it will say zero and then we can all point and laugh at you MUAHAHA
um, well you wont be laughing then because you guessed wrong. According to the can:

Ingredients: Whole farm faised mealworms(Tenebrio molitor)
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein(min): 17.0%
Crude Fat:(min) 5.0%
Crude Fiber(max): 1.0%
Crude Ash(max): 3.0%
MOISTURE CONTENT: 70.0%:);P

BTW the EXP. date on the back is sept 2009.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when i worked at the exotic petstore awhile back we used to carry all different types of canned bugs, grasshoppers,snails,mealworms,crickets,catapillers and ive used them on all of my inverts,and they loved em:drool: ,i just refridged the reopen cans,they do last for sometime,but they can get smelly after awhile.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i worked at the exotic petstore awhile back we used to carry all different types of canned bugs, grasshoppers,snails,mealworms,crickets,catapillers and ive used them on all of my inverts,and they loved em:drool: ,i just refridged the reopen cans,they do last for sometime,but they can get smelly after awhile.
Hey do you have any tips feeding adult tarantulas and inverts? How did you go about doing it? Thanks

dan

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like to know about using them on adults too. My mom has to take care of my Ts for the summer and it'd be easier for her to handle dead bugs, if the T will take them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
most of my inverts. are aggressive,so when i threw in the canned feeder they would pounce on it:clap: but for the more laid back ones i would just put the pray item by their hide and leave it there,by night it would be gone,and if was there the next day i would remove it,but that was very rare.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most of my inverts. are aggressive,so when i threw in the canned feeder they would pounce on it:clap: but for the more laid back ones i would just put the pray item by their hide and leave it there,by night it would be gone,and if was there the next day i would remove it,but that was very rare.
Cool thanks for the info, perhaps ill try some grasshoppers for my bigger inverts:razz:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
um, well you wont be laughing then because you guessed wrong. According to the can:

Ingredients: Whole farm faised mealworms(Tenebrio molitor)
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein(min): 17.0%
Crude Fat:(min) 5.0%
Crude Fiber(max): 1.0%
Crude Ash(max): 3.0%
MOISTURE CONTENT: 70.0%:);P

BTW the EXP. date on the back is sept 2009.
this is interesting because the lab from the site below found that live meal worms have only 58% moisture....

http://www.doubleds.org/contactus.html

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting. I would not like to use them as a staple diet, but the large grasshoppers offered by that company might make good snacks for larger T's.

kreuz

Arachnopeon
hi!

just saw this thread! where I live it's kind of hard to get some of this canned food, so I would have to order it via internet! is there anything wrong with freezing such canned crickets? because I would order quite large amounts at a time...

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i bought some Dan and tried it out. they made a massive stink in my enclosures, but my T's readily ate them.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah..I bought some XL grasshoppers by accident (thought they were smaller) their HUGE! like easily 3"+...but they look pretty...well wet...if you could say that. So I guess the moisture is there...the grasshoppers also have 70% moisture on the side of the can...havn't fed any of them yet though lol...I'll see if my Rose will take one when she's comfy.

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for a good tip. I will be able to use these when (more like "if") I go on an extended vacation. I live in San Diego and see there's 2 places that sell it here. Kim Ski