just sharing this cool little dude

claire bear

Arachnopeon
IMG-20240421-WA0000.jpg isn't she just gorgeous? i found her outside and because of where i live i know she wouldn't last long outside, so i've decided to keep her. about two and a half inch legspan, definitely the biggest spider i've ever seen in the area. my family has lived here for ages and no one has ever seen one (Olios giganteus, giant crab spider). she hasn't molted yet but she's been eating well so i have high hopes!!

i know huntsmen are generally found in more tropical areas, but i've heard about this species in arizona and other dry areas. i'm in central california, the central valley so it's very hot and very very dry here. i've read conflicting information about humidity for these guys, should i be misting the terrarium?

also, she's pretty damn fast! the first time i saw her eat it was incredible. her name is arachmaninoff, ara for short (arachnid + rachmaninoff because i'm also a classical music nerd)

Last edited:

claire bear

Arachnopeon
Why mist? You said it’s dry 🤣
that's kinda what i was thinking, i mean i found her in a literal desert so it seems like she doesn't need the humidity. however i've read that huntsman spiders generally like moist environments and when keeping one as a pet you should mist the terrarium, so i wanted to double check that a dry climate is what she'd be most comfortable in :) also i've never kept a spider as a pet, though i've always wanted to, so i'm pretty scared of doing something wrong

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is humid micro-climates that exist in the desert. For example, its widely speculated juvenile Hadrurus spend their first months of life inside the root systems of cacti, full of moisture. For this one, probably just a shallow water bowl and misting should suffice.

claire bear

Arachnopeon
There is humid micro-climates that exist in the desert. For example, its widely speculated juvenile Hadrurus spend their first months of life inside the root systems of cacti, full of moisture. For this one, probably just a shallow water bowl and misting should suffice.
thank you!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 472125 isn't she just gorgeous? i found her outside and because of where i live i know she wouldn't last long outside, so i've decided to keep her. about two and a half inch legspan, definitely the biggest spider i've ever seen in the area. my family has lived here for ages and no one has ever seen one (Olios giganteus, giant crab spider). she hasn't molted yet but she's been eating well so i have high hopes!!

i know huntsmen are generally found in more tropical areas, but i've heard about this species in arizona and other dry areas. i'm in central california, the central valley so it's very hot and very very dry here. i've read conflicting information about humidity for these guys, should i be misting the terrarium?

also, she's pretty damn fast! the first time i saw her eat it was incredible. her name is arachmaninoff, ara for short (arachnid + rachmaninoff because i'm also a classical music nerd)
Super fat !🫡😍 I’ve not seen a big crab spider in over 20 years 3” or so .I think there gone here extinct . Plus that was in another town .

gzophia

Arachnoknight
That's incredible, I didn't know that about the species! I'll have to do some research of my own.
View attachment 472125 isn't she just gorgeous? i found her outside and because of where i live i know she wouldn't last long outside, so i've decided to keep her. about two and a half inch legspan, definitely the biggest spider i've ever seen in the area. my family has lived here for ages and no one has ever seen one (Olios giganteus, giant crab spider). she hasn't molted yet but she's been eating well so i have high hopes!!

Beautiful one!

claire bear

Arachnopeon
Super fat !🫡😍 I’ve not seen a big crab spider in over 20 years 3” or so .I think there gone here extinct . Plus that was in another town .
yeah i've never seen anything like it (i have a near photographic memory so i'd know if i'd seen it before) and i've been picking up every spider i could find since i turned 4. i shared it on reddit too and some people think it might be gravid so we'll see

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
For example, its widely speculated juvenile Hadrurus spend their first months of life inside the root systems of cacti, full of moisture.
now that is awesome. perhaps that is why young ones do not do so well in captivity

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I expect ALL wc females to be gravid. You might have little ones on your hands soon!

She's stunning.

claire bear

Arachnopeon
I expect ALL wc females to be gravid. You might have little ones on your hands soon!

She's stunning.
yeah i'll keep an eye out for an egg sac. she's eating but not moving around too much, and getting bigger. may just be because she's so hungry but i'm anticipating it just in case