just got my first tarantula

mike92085

Arachnopeon

the people at the store are idiots but i think its a stripe knee, when i got it it had wood chips on the bottom and there were like 6 crickets in there i took all that out. i put in peat moss and ive had it for 3 days he hasnt eaten yet or burrowed into the dirt.

i put the quarter for size comarpison can anyone tell the approximate age, and if its male or female? i dont know much about these yet still reading stuff thanks :razz:

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey that's pretty cool. It kind of looks like my G. rosea though, maybe not, in that picture the carapace looks pinkish though. I bet you'll be getting another one soon. :p

soulreaver_x01

Arachnopeon
looks like A.seemani to me,zebra knee.mine is about 6.5 inches.very pretty spider!you will be getting another soon,they are an addiction!!:D

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations on your new G. rosea!!!! I can’t tell you if it’s a male or a female. The only accurate way you can tell is when it sheds its exoskeleton you look on the inside of the abdomen. You’ll get to that once you start learning more. Or you can try to take a very detailed picture of its underside we can “try” to sex it ventrally for you.

Here is a great link to G. rosea care. Have fun with your new friend and welcome to the addiction!!!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

Steph

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
doesn't look like any seemani i've ever seen and quite a bit like a number of g. rosea's, what color are the spinnerette's? they look dark/black from the shot

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea

yea thats not a stripe knee ive had one and its got the stripes on its legs almost like a skeleton it looks like a rosehair 2 me....

mike92085

Arachnopeon
thanks for the quick responses, :D i read that one guide, can these really go a whole month without eating???!! :eek: and they can live up to 20 or more years :eek: :eek: :eek: i bought it on sunday so i think ill wait till then to see if it will eat. i cant wait to see it attack a cricket :drool:

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very nice G. rosea. Now go get a Pokie they are so much fun to play with!!! {D {D {D

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the quick responses, :D i read that one guide, can these really go a whole month without eating???!! :eek: and they can live up to 20 or more years :eek: :eek: :eek: i bought it on sunday so i think ill wait till then to see if it will eat. i cant wait to see it attack a cricket :drool:

I have 5 G. roseas and not only can they go with out eating for a month they like to torment you and go on fasts that last for months at a time. My very first T a G. rosea (She's going to be a mommy now) didn’t eat for 9 months…. but hey that’s a G. rosea for you … they are very fickle.

Steph

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice G. rosea. Now go get a Pokie they are so much fun to play with!!! {D {D {D
Why would you say that to a beginning T keeper? :? For one they are not that bad they are shy for two I doubt he knows the slang term for Poecilotheria sp. So at least try typing out the whole name as to not confuse beginners. Obviously you do not have anything constructive to add to this thread :embarrassed: :wall: .

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
take 2 chill pill and call me in the morning sweet....I was just having a lil fun with the new guy.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why would you say that to a beginning T keeper? :? For one they are not that bad they are shy for two I doubt he knows the slang term for Poecilotheria sp. So at least try typing out the whole name as to not confuse beginners. Obviously you do not have anything constructive to add to this thread :embarrassed: :wall: .
Calm down. Its whats generally known as 'a joke'.

Thats a very cute looking little Rosea you've got there, nice and plump. It may just be the camera but judging by its colours it may be due for a shed soon, as most Roseas often have pretty metalic sheens of pink or copper. As for sexing, your best bet is to wait until it sheds then try sexing it from the moulted exoskeleton - take a look at the 'Sex Me' threads for more info.

By the way, tarantulas are addictive! I give it max. 6 months before you're compelled to go and buy another one!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The record for a G. rosea not eating is something like two years, actually. Also, you'll be taken a little more seriously if you don't use frequent large groups of emotes, just a helpful note. :) Enjoy your pet lump!

Although...why is there so much wet peat in that picture? Everything in a rosea tank besides the inside of the water bowl should be completely dry. :)

Bobert

Arachnopeon
The record for a G. rosea not eating is something like two years, actually. Also, you'll be taken a little more seriously if you don't use frequent large groups of emotes, just a helpful note. :) Enjoy your pet lump!

Although...why is there so much wet peat in that picture? Everything in a rosea tank besides the inside of the water bowl should be completely dry. :)
Well said ^^^

And def G Rosea, never seen A Seemani like that before...

mike92085

Arachnopeon
when i bought it, its was labeled stripe knee and i sprayed the walls and wet the peat at the bottom when i first put it in the tank to add humidity since i beleive from what i read the a seemani comes from a tropical environment, the stuff in the pic was an accidental spill when filling the water bowl :wall:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I skipped through all the posts above me except for the starting one, and that T is definately 120% Grammostola rosea.