Just got my first scrop need help

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just picked up a Texas Bark scorpion for only $5.00us With lots of free stuff. The people at the specialty shop did not know much does anyone know anything about this scorp scientific name care feeding poison potency I know I should have done research but the deal was too good to pass up

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, the first thing to do is figure out exactly what species it is. It will be a Centruroides of some sort -- most likely vittatus or exilicauda. Does it have a triangular "mask" over the eyes? That is the simplest way to tell. You can check here to compare them both to yours:

C.exilicauda: http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/c_excilicauda1.jpg

C.vittatus: http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/c_vittatus3.jpg

Either way, you want to provide a fairly dry enclosure (sand most likley) with some bark or wood that they can climb on. A wide, shallow water dish should be provided so they can drink. Your enclosure should have a tight-fitting lid to prevent escapes. They can't climb smooth surfaces, but can easily take advantage of any irregularities. If it is C.vittatus then the venom is mild but painful. If it is C.exilicauda then the venom is much more severe and should be treated as a truly "hot" scorpion.

Cheers,
Dave

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like a miniture version of a C.vittatus (the one with the mask over the eyes) Is there any info on these scorps as far as temprement sociality and so forth. Also did I make a good buy for a beginner?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Spike,

How big is it? C. vittatus don't get that big at all. They can be kept socialy, though there is always the risk of canabalism. Temperment isn't too balistic, but you still don't really want to be playing with them. They aren't necessarily bad for beginners -- the venom isn't too bad and they make fantastic display species. Just be sure to treat it with the respect it deserves and to always keep away from the stinger.

Cheers,
Dave

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not including the curled stinger (thought it would be a bad idea to uncurl it;) ) um I would say inch inch and a half how big do they get???

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You're looking at it. They don't get bigger than that.

Cheers,
Dave

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long do these scorps live ??? Is there any online info on them

Kawika

Arachnopeon
I know this is an old thread...but what specialty shop in Houston did you visit Spike?