Just got my first ever tarantula, a baby King Baboon! Need suggestions.....

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, I see where people are having the issue. I'm not saying that ALL venom is the same. I'm just saying venom IS venom. You really don't want to mess with any of it. Nothing good can come from any bite, regardless of toxicity.

But, in this case, I do feel that KBs lack anything substantial to their venom to be any more harmful than a Brachy. It won't make you miss work the next day could be a basic statement I can make.

Maybe this clears things up some?
This does clear some things up as far as knowing what you are saying. And yes, venom is venom, but I'd rather be bit by a brachy rather than a KB. And you are true that nothing good can come from bites, of course, but that doesn't mean one species venom isn't more potent than another. I have read the bite reports for many species. Would you compare an H. lividum bite to that of a G. rosea? Because I would much rather get bit by a G. rosea than an H. lividum. Granted, I don't want to be bit at all.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay, I see where people are having the issue. I'm not saying that ALL venom is the same. I'm just saying venom IS venom. You really don't want to mess with any of it. Nothing good can come from any bite, regardless of toxicity.
But, in this case, I do feel that KBs lack anything substantial to their venom to be any more harmful than a Brachy. It won't make you miss work the next day could be a basic statement I can make.

Maybe this clears things up some?
That makes MUCH more sense. We're good. :D

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello! Congrats on your first and fantastic tarantula! That's cute how it just dived into the hole and started digging. I much prefer a waterdish for humidity myself, the wider it is, the more humidity you get. The only recommendation I would make is to have pebbles or something instead of the bark pieces in it. Depends on what type of bark you are using, but some could get slimy alot quicker than rocks and harbor mold or bacteria.
With the size of your enclosure you may even get lucky and not have to clean it out every day because your little guy has pushed substrate into it. :D (To clarify, I know you don't HAVE to clean out a water dish if there is substrate in it. They can drink from the damp substrate, but for some reason a substrate-filled water dish gives me a twitch. For about a year my B. smithi pushed dirt around and no matter where I put the dish, she'd glob it full. Now she has a great burrow dug out under a log, and right by the glass so I could see her inside it...and she sits on top of it all the time. {D sheesh.)
Have fun with your King. Let's see people call it boring when it's all growd up!

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This does clear some things up as far as knowing what you are saying. And yes, venom is venom, but I'd rather be bit by a brachy rather than a KB. And you are true that nothing good can come from bites, of course, but that doesn't mean one species venom isn't more potent than another. I have read the bite reports for many species. Would you compare an H. lividum bite to that of a G. rosea? Because I would much rather get bit by a G. rosea than an H. lividum. Granted, I don't want to be bit at all.
I'm glad that cleared things up for you. It always makes me feel better when I can get my point across accurately. :)

I do agree with you. Differing species do have differing effects from their venom. But, I haven't come across anything as of yet to make me "fear" a bite from a KB anymore than a bite from a Brachy. I work very pre-cautiously, and have yet to be bit by anything. That is something I would like to keep going. So, don't think I'm entirely careless. Of course, if push came to shove and I had to get bit by something. I would take on the RoseHair before the Cobalt. But, bite reports have told be what I know on the comparisons. Cobalts aren't always nice bites.

However, with that said, the tamest and MOST docile T I ever had was a Haplopelma lividum. Broke all stereotypes! She was also the laziest thing I've ever seen. She wouldn't burrow, or spin funky webs. She'd hide in her little makeshift hide I built for her and eat crickets. Anytime I wanted to hold her, I'd just put my hand into her cage and she'd come crawling up my arm. She was nice...sigh...I miss her.

That makes MUCH more sense. We're good. :D
I'm glad we are good now. :D Guess I need to work on my english writing some more. It's not good when other people mistake your meanings for something else. I'm sorry about that.

However, if there is a site that lists venom toxicity in tarantulas, I'd be very interested to see it. Any sites I've found only mention true spiders and scorpions. No Ts.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's funny? I haven't met anyone who's been bitten by both to not compare them as similar. Slight pain and inflammation at the site. Not so bad. I have yet to note any systemic effects like muscle spasms, cramps, etc. If you have truly talked with people with these symptoms, I'd like to know about it. Otherwise, I'll leave it at the 12-15 accounts I know of to be accurate.

If there is a site with official toxin information, please share. Otherwise, I leave my knowledge to bite reports.

Not to mention irrelevant. ;)
Post#8 (B.boehmi)

http://www.tarantulas.us/forums/showthread.php?t=6302

King baboon: (I rather have the above!)

http://www.atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12613&hilit=King+baboon+bite

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you guys ever heard anything about using stun guns to neutralize venom? I have read on the interwebz that using a stun gun on yourself is effective for brown recluse bites and stuff.

edit: quick link I found
http://www.spiderbitetreatment.com/minisguse.htm
Um...perhaps you should start a new thread with that same question. This is the inappropriate place. It is bad manners to "hijack". Just heads up.

But, to answer the question. The answer is "no". There is no basis to believe electrical current to be beneficial at all in treating a venomous bite.