just got a Indian Violet (Chilobrachys fimbriatus) comments?

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i just got one.. well its going to be in tomarow ... i usally go through the net to find stuff out but i love input people give me on this awsome forum .. so if you have any pointer for me .. plese do!
sean

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Excellent choice. I have a beautiful 4" female. She had her tank webbed up so thick that Wolfy had to rehouse her. Not much of a display spider at all. Mostly comes out in the evening and you may see them peak out during feeding. Can be skittish but they are a " Don't try to mess with me" type of T. I mist mine maybe once a week. Have her in a medium critter keeper with approx 2-3" of substrate...piece of cork and a couple sticks for her to web to.

Last edited:

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sweet thanks ... i dunno when i saw the pic i knda fell in love with it .. so its in the same class as ASIAN FAWNS right? what about growth speed???? a slow grower?

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Slowwwwwwwwww growers. Mine was a tiny sling when I got her and it took her pretty much 2 years to make it to the 4" mark. Which I would rather them grow slow then fast. Power feeding a T is NOT good.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont recommend putting a humid burrower like that in a kritter keeper. The kk will not keep it humid enough. A plastic sterlite/tupperware box is the way to go. Give it deep/slightly moist substrate. Dont forget to drill holes around the sides.
I assume you are getting a sling? If so just house in a vial with deep substrate. What I wrote above is for adults.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Great species, as much as they burrow and web, I find the adult females poking out the mouth of their burrow alot.

But now that my female's incubating her sac, she's become very reclusive.

-Sean

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont recommend putting a humid burrower like that in a kritter keeper. The kk will not keep it humid enough. A plastic sterlite/tupperware box is the way to go. Give it deep/slightly moist substrate. Dont forget to drill holes around the sides.
I assume you are getting a sling? If so just house in a vial with deep substrate. What I wrote above is for adults.
There are ways that you can set this sp. up in a critter keeper. You can always tape half of the container to hold in humidity. Misting them once or twice a week is fine. They can be burrowers but I've found with mine it has always made tunnels with it's webbing and never really burrowed at all.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slowwwwwwwwww growers. Mine was a tiny sling when I got her and it took her pretty much 2 years to make it to the 4" mark. Which I would rather them grow slow then fast. Power feeding a T is NOT good.
I raised a sling to adulthood in just over 2 years (female) so I wouldn't say that these are particularly slow growing compared to say, Selenotypus, Heteroscodra, Grammostola etc.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Misting them once or twice a week is fine. .
And its also a waste of time. Misting evaporates fast and will not soak up the substrate. You are far ahead just pouring water directly on the substrate. After keeping several tropical arachnids over the past few years I have learned that is the best way to go, believe me :)

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I inject water into the substrate with a syringe/needle combo...works great for leaving the top layer dry, and gets the moisture down near the burrow where the Tarantula is, just be careful not to inject the spider, lol

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
there a great species to keep.make sure shes got enough room to burrow.these guys will do lots of awesome webbing and create cool little tunnels all over there enclosures.also be careful cause chilobrachys are Fast!!i had one bolt across my apartment in 2 secs lol

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And its also a waste of time. Misting evaporates fast and will not soak up the substrate. You are far ahead just pouring water directly on the substrate. After keeping several tropical arachnids over the past few years I have learned that is the best way to go, believe me :)
When I mist this T I do make sure that the substrate is more moist then I would normally do....but I don't soak it. I must be doing something right when it comes to T's that need more humidity then others cause they are all very healthy.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh yea i kno... not to soak he sub.... where can i get a Syringe for water? i cant one anywhere! ... thanks for the input guys! your great...

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your local feed store should carry a selection of syringes/needles used for injecting cattle and the like, be careful they are SHARP.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What If Ijust Used A Turkey Basser?? Lol ... Im Serious! Lol

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you mist down your tank really good and when you see the substrate dry....pour some water over it...NOT a lot...you will be fine. You don't want substrate that is like mush or you'll just have problems.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
A what? Never heard of one of those.
A turkey baster, you know, a tube with a rubber 'ball' on the end, like suck up gravy and squirt it over stuff?
I'm sure there's some form of technical word to describe it. :confused:

-Sean

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A turkey baster, you know, a tube with a rubber 'ball' on the end, like suck up gravy and squirt it over stuff?
I'm sure there's some form of technical word to describe it. :confused:

-Sean
a turkey fluid distributor apparatus

i'm selling them for 19.95 plus shipping and handling. order now and receive a free lobster roach. {D

Last edited:

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He plainly said, Basser...I've never heard of one, but I HAVE heard of a Turkey Baster, now we're getting somewhere! Those are too big in my opinion, and would seemingly gush too much water out, wheras a syringe/needle is much more controllable.