Just got a birdeater :D

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
I actually thought you were either being very sarcastic, or trying to be funny...but you're serious?
I'm inexperienced but why would I be joking? I was joking abut the notion that I would not survive it. Of course ts are not dangerous nor out to harm me in any way, with the possible exception of OBT, but my local pet shop has a large theraphosa-looking t in an enclosure labeled "Pink Birdeater" and I was thinking of getting it. That is why I am posting this, I would like a consensus before I make a decision like OP already has.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"Bird eater" was also more or less the English name that a rude, pretty ignorant but genuine, not so tall Southern Italian man (from Puglia region, Apulia in English) given to his brand new (bald) inflatable doll. Happened in the pure '80, I was a baby. He was working for my Mommy's :kiss: and Grandfather wine private cellar business here in the "Tuscany of the North" (where we produce the best red wine, eh eh France btw).

The doll was "bald" (an Italian curiosity of back then) because using such Sinead O' Connor feature, he was able to change the hairs based on the moment: redhead, brunette, blonde (He even imagined my Mom!!!!! Christ :banghead: :punch: :rage:).

Well, thanks to that doll, muahahahahahah, he saved an helluva of cash, and when he died, his family that went up here in the North found a little treasure in cash: under the bed, in corners, behind bricks etc

Christ, that "bird eater" made someone happy, at the end.

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
"Bird eater" was also more or less the English name that a rude, pretty ignorant but genuine, not so tall Southern Italian man (from Puglia region, Apulia in English) given to his brand new (bald) inflatable doll. Happened in the pure '80, I was a baby. He was working for my Mommy's :kiss: and Grandfather wine private cellar business here in the "Tuscany of the North" (where we produce the best red wine, eh eh France btw).

The doll was "bald" (an Italian curiosity of back then) because using such Sinead O' Connor feature, he was able to change the hairs based on the moment: redhead, brunette, blonde (He even imagined my Mom!!!!! Christ :banghead: :punch: :rage:).

Well, thanks to that doll, muahahahahahah, he saved an helluva of cash, and when he died, his family that went up here in the North found a little treasure in cash: under the bed, in corners, behind bricks etc

Christ, that "bird eater" made someone happy, at the end.
What on earth are you on about, I know I may have derailed the thread but you have sent it off hurtling into a cavernous ferngully.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm inexperienced but why would I be joking? I was joking abut the notion that I would not survive it. Of course ts are not dangerous nor out to harm me in any way, with the possible exception of OBT, but my local pet shop has a large theraphosa-looking t in an enclosure labeled "Pink Birdeater" and I was thinking of getting it. That is why I am posting this, I would like a consensus before I make a decision like OP already has.
1. Always be wary of species with sellers that don't offer scientific names. Common names are virtually meaningless. Most pet shops are bad places for advice about ts, as well as buying them.

2. The term "birdeater" simply means a south American terrestrial that exceeds 6 inches...although there are smaller species as well carrying the birdeater moniker.

3. No one's worried about harm to you. Thereposa are notoriously difficult for beginners to keep, they die in the hands of beginners hellbent on getting the biggest they can to start off all the time. I know of a guy in my area that lost 8 at last count, but keeps buying them anyway. So its the well beingof the theraposa that people have concern over.

4. Which brings us to the name the pet store gave...that's not a Theraposa, its almost certainly a Lasiodora species (probably parayabana). Which is a better choice for starting out, as its much easier to keep as it can be kept predominantly dry.

5. OBT is just one of MANY medically significant species.

6. If this is the species you want, go for it, an LP can make a good beginner t. But understand that its a very very inexpensive species...dime a dozen you could say...so its likely significantly over priced in a pet store, especially if they are leading people to believe its a Theraposa. Also, because they are so readily available, and grow rather quickly. I would strongly suggest getting a sling or at least a small specimen...you can easily get a sling for under $10.

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
1. Always be wary of species with sellers that don't offer scientific names. Common names are virtually meaningless. Most pet shops are bad places for advice about ts, as well as buying them.

2. The term "birdeater" simply means a south American terrestrial that exceeds 6 inches...although there are smaller species as well carrying the birdeater moniker.

3. No one's worried about harm to you. Thereposa are notoriously difficult for beginners to keep, they die in the hands of beginners hellbent on getting the biggest they can to start off all the time. I know of a guy in my area that lost 8 at last count, but keeps buying them anyway. So its the well beingof the theraposa that people have concern over.

4. Which brings us to the name the pet store gave...that's not a Theraposa, its almost certainly a Lasiodora species (probably parayabana). Which is a better choice for starting out, as its much easier to keep as it can be kept predominantly dry.

5. OBT is just one of MANY medically significant species.

6. If this is the species you want, go for it, an LP can make a good beginner t. But understand that its a very very inexpensive species...dime a dozen you could say...so its likely significantly over priced in a pet store, especially if they are leading people to believe its a Theraposa. Also, because they are so readily available, and grow rather quickly. I would strongly suggest getting a sling or at least a small specimen...you can easily get a sling for under $10.
Thanks man, I thought the term 'birdeater' was specific to Theraphosa. I am very interested in the salmon pink tho and will do some research on it as a preliminary. Sorry to OP for hijacking this thread btw. The L. Parayabana they have (it looks just like one) is priced at about 50 dollars for an adult. Is that a good price? I'm not really keen on a sling for my first tarantula because of their fragility. Thank you in advance.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks man, I thought the term 'birdeater' was specific to Theraphosa. I am very interested in the salmon pink tho and will do some research on it as a preliminary. Sorry to OP for hijacking this thread btw. The L. Parayabana they have (it looks just like one) is priced at about 50 dollars for an adult. Is that a good price? I'm not really keen on a sling for my first tarantula because of their fragility. Thank you in advance.
Not all slings are fragile, many are remarkably easy to keep and raise (an LP being one of them). Its especially enjoyable to raise and watch fast growing specimens gain size over time...you can get molts every 24-28 days with some species when they're small....and a small ts appetite is almost always as good or better than its adult counterparts.

$50 is a good price for an adult female LP...just make sure its female...pet stores are notorious for selling mature males to unsuspecting buyers....being that pet store prices are generally heavily inflated, it wouldn't surprise me if the specimen they had was a MM.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
No thats probably a bit high unless its 100% female. They have over 1000 slings at a time and arent challenging to breed so they should be cheap.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Should have hooks visible if its mature male and they are quite easily spotted in MM LPs.
@Rittdk01 any pictures of your new T and its enclosure?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Here's a decent pic. I hope its a girl but I like it either way. I put a mist on the walls like I do with my pink toes. Never had mold in their setups
I'm sorry, but there is no way on Earth that thing is an LP! Maybe I never see them, but that does look like a Theraphosa sp. You may have more than you bargained for with this one... high humidity and ravenous appatite, their husbandry is definitly more advanced than the average beginner T. That is, if it is,in fact, a Theraphosa. Good luck!

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Well I'll definitely keep both eyes on it for the first signs of distress or anything like that. It's a burgundy version but Looks a little hairier than ones I have seen. Looks very large in person. I put the dollar there for perspective. I

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well I'll definitely keep both eyes on it for the first signs of distress or anything like that. It's a burgundy version but Looks a little hairier than ones I have seen. Looks very large in person. I put the dollar there for perspective. I
It looks very starved, dehydrated, and very scuffed up from importing and transporting. Lots of setae missing from the carapace and legs where setae shouldn't be missing. I hope it lives. It is indeed a Theraphosa stirmi.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sorry, but there is no way on Earth that thing is an LP! Maybe I never see them, but that does look like a Theraphosa sp. You may have more than you bargained for with this one... high humidity and ravenous appatite, their husbandry is definitly more advanced than the average beginner T. That is, if it is,in fact, a Theraphosa. Good luck!
You are confusing two different people, @Scolopendra1989 was looking at the suspected LP. That's a T. stirmi the OP posted....looks a little rough, too. Have you been able to sex it?

cold blood

Staff member
No hairs on the femurs, def. a stirmi.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
It's supposed to be a female, but I'm not sure. It's eating really good for its first day in my possession. It is covered in dirt still from the shipping container. Super active so far as well

Lessej

Arachnopeon
Cool looking stirmi, thanks for the pictures! :)

Best of luck getting him/her in tip top healthy shape!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
It's supposed to be a female, but I'm not sure. It's eating really good for its first day in my possession. It is covered in dirt still from the shipping container. Super active so far as well
Assuming you got it from Slackwater (backwater reptiles), they don't give a crap about what they send to people. There shouldn't be any dirt in the shipping container, they have no idea/don't care how to ship. That is a very rough looking t. Can you get a picture of the underside? At this size it should be very easy to sex.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Hmmm I can try to get it in a large critter keeper tomorrow. That has a see through bottom. Or I will snap a photo if he gets against the glass.