Old Timer
So who else keeps Amblypygi?

Alex S.

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm an Amblifanatic!

I'm currently rearing a dozen Phrynus sp. and one Damon diadema- you're spot on in thinking they're amazing animals, Alex, though I don't know half as much about them as you probably do!

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygi

Hey John, yeah, thats cool you are raising some right now! I am too, 5 Phrynus marginemaculata and 2 Damon diadema. Im really not that knowledgeable about them, just really know the families and several species. It would really kick ass to keep a specimen of the giant Phrynidae from Central America, South America, and Puerto Rico that get over 2" body lengths, nearly 10" legspans, and nearly 20" whipspans!! That prey on frogs and lizards!!

Alex S.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crikey...

I'd love one or thirty:D of those! Are they being imported?

John

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Went to a show yesterday and saw one of these. I think it was probably Damon diadema. If I had more room, I think I'd have to pick a couple up. Amazing looking inverts, I think you can keep them communally, and they live alot longer than solfugids. :)

Scott

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Amblypigids can be kept communally...

unlike most predatory species, and cannabilism is almost nil.

There's a great article in E&A Inverts magazine concerning Damon diadema, written by the excellent guy <Steve Dixey> from whom I received mine.

You guysngals oughta read this magazine.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygi

The Amblypygi.

Alex S.

Last edited:

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*shudder*

i'm a little creeped out by non-tarantula inverts... trying to get over it. i want to see some pics of your whipscorpions!!! what are they like? how long do they live? where can you find them in the wild? what is so special about them?

kellygirl

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygids (tailless whipscorpions)

Tailless whipscorpions or amblypygids (order: Amblypygi) are amazing and extremely bizzare arachnids that are almost always arboreal. They range from small to quite large arachnids with some having nearly a 10" legspan and over 2" body length. They are highly predacious creatures using their sharp, spiney pedipalps to capture prey which can be anywhere from flies, beetles, crickets, and even small frogs and lizards. Amblypygids have very elongate legs with the front pair modified into thin feeling apendages which loook somewhat like "whips". They have a segment abdomen and a wide cephalothorax. Amblypygids are usually found in damp places such as rainforest trees and caves. Overall they are awesome arachnids.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like MLK, I have a dream...

Only mine is about amblypigids! I've seen pics of the giant SA's Alex is talking about, hanging out on caves and feasting on the numerous Blaberus sp. cockroaches that cover the walls and feed on bat guano. My dream is to create a simulated cave and get native bats to roost in there. They would fly out of my basement and feed free range. A huge colony of B. gigantea would feed on thier droppings. Once the roach population was booming, I'd intoduce a few big ambly's. I wanted to do it in the basement bathroom (cinder block walls), but the wife would have none of it.

Wade

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Man Wade women can be so unfair! Sounded like a good idea to me. (as long as its at your house) ;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Free range inverts in the home...wave of the future, I'm telling you...

Wade

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Wade-

I tend to agree with jwb on that there issue!:}

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Having arthropods free-running all over the house would be the greatest.

Alex S.

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: *shudder*

Originally posted by kellygirl
i'm a little creeped out by non-tarantula inverts... trying to get over it. i want to see some pics of your whipscorpions!!! what are they like? how long do they live? where can you find them in the wild? what is so special about them?
kellygirl
what's so special about em? how bout a face only a mother could love? well......they are very fascinating. not the easiest inverts to keep....IME kind of humidity sensitive.
Ed

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hear you, atavuss- just today I opened up the enclosure to feed my Damon, and the little animal had died.:(
Is that water you're keeping around your Damon??

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johns
I hear you, atavuss- just today I opened up the enclosure to feed my Damon, and the little animal had died.:(
Is that water you're keeping around your Damon??
no, it is moist substrate with moss added, the damon is sitting on a piece of rolled up cork. I am going to experiment with using the polymer crystals inside the cork to see if it will keep the humidity up.
Ed

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
no, it is moist substrate with moss added, the damon is sitting on a piece of rolled up cork. I am going to experiment with using the polymer crystals inside the cork to see if it will keep the humidity up.
Ed
What humidity are you trying to maintain, Ed, and have you been successful with your experiment thus far?

I recall seeing the Damon in a picture some time ago when you posted the pic on Pb- and was wondering whether or not it's met with any success?

John

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johns
What humidity are you trying to maintain, Ed, and have you been successful with your experiment thus far?

I recall seeing the Damon in a picture some time ago when you posted the pic on Pb- and was wondering whether or not it's met with any success?

John
I try and keep the substrate moist, but not so moist that there is condensation on the enclosure sides. I try to keep a cap from a water bottle full of water at all times also. I started with 11 of the damons and am down to 2 (I sold many of them). the enclosure has numerous ventilation holes also. I have seen people keep the damons on bone dry substrate and they survive.....maybe I am keeping them TOO humid? I probably will not get more of them as my herp/invert room is hot and dry.
Ed