Just finished reading The Tarantula Keeper's Guide...

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I'm excited to see the revised edition of the TKG whenever it surfaces personally. Yes, Information progresses with any subject over time and some things in the older editions can be outdated but for new and experienced T keepers alike, The TKG is a very useful guide. If more newcomers read it 90% of the repeated "What do I do now" or the "Whats this?" posts on here wouldn't exist on a daily basis.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm excited to see the revised edition of the TKG whenever it surfaces personally. Yes, Information progresses with any subject over time and some things in the older editions can be outdated but for new and experienced T keepers alike, The TKG is a very useful guide. If more newcomers read it 90% of the repeated "What do I do now" or the "Whats this?" posts on here wouldn't exist on a daily basis.
"If more newcomers read it 90% of the repeated "What do I do now" or the "Whats this?" posts on here wouldn't exist on a daily basis."

- This right here is really one of the true values of a book like the TKG, not the ONLY value, but a significant one, couldn't have said it better myself.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
it will be nice to see the revisions made. theres been good number of changes since the last one, and it'll be an interested read.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Yeah you might want to try that if your morning is spent incrementally downvoting all of my posts in the span of a few minutes.
All of your posts? no. just the ones i disagree with on this thread. there are many posts on other threads that you have posted, that i do agree with, thus i don't feel are deserving of a downvote from me.

i mean, that is a feature of this website right? to show that you personally disagree with a post?

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of your posts? no. just the ones i disagree with on this thread. there are many posts on other threads that you have posted, that i do agree with, thus i don't feel are deserving of a downvote from me.

i mean, that is a feature of this website right? to show that you personally disagree with a post?
Yeah, that's the feature, but when i receive several notifications in the span of a few minutes, and its a sudden thing, makes me wonder.
Ie. Most people do not rate EVERY post they see

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Yeah, that's the feature, but when i receive several notifications in the span of a few minutes, and its a sudden thing, makes me wonder.
Ie. Most people do not rate EVERY post they see
again, i did not rate EVERY post.

simply just the ones i disagreed with for the most part. I have done it to a mere handful of the hundreds of your posts. and i did not do it to just yours either. if you go and look at the lists of the other posts on here, you will also see little votes on theirs as well. please don't think i am singlely you out for some reason, i have a habit of doing this on a thread I've posted more then a few posts on. i go through, read back through and hand out some votes.

the ironic part is, I'm sure you wouldn't be having such an existential crisis about this if they were all "agree" Or "informative" or any other "positive" votes, but simply because the majority are negative, you seem to have a need to point it out on the thread. which i can assure you, everybody else knows. i voted on them too.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
again, i did not rate EVERY post.

simply just the ones i disagreed with for the most part. I have done it to a mere handful of the hundreds of your posts. and i did not do it to just yours either. if you go and look at the lists of the other posts on here, you will also see little votes on theirs as well. please don't think i am singlely you out for some reason, i have a habit of doing this on a thread I've posted more then a few posts on. i go through, read back through and hand out some votes.

the ironic part is, I'm sure you wouldn't be having such an existential crisis about this if they were all "agree" Or "informative" or any other "positive" votes, but simply because the majority are negative, you seem to have a need to point it out on the thread. which i can assure you, everybody else knows. i voted on them too.
No, I'm only pointing it out because you are essentially running down a list, rating posts that you have already read and responded to.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
No, I'm only pointing it out because you are essentially running down a list, rating posts that you have already read and responded to.
actually that is quite accurate.
i wouldn't say a "list" as, i literally started at page one and passed down votes on the posts as i went. i don't see why what i did was wrong? people do it all the time. maybe not all at once like i have done, but then again, everybody does their own thing.

usually towards the end of the life of the thread, when things have slowed down and I'm not usually actively replying to posts, i have the time to go back through and do this. if you don't like it, a simple request to stop would suffice, in which case you won't get any further votes from me.
its really that simple.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i honestly dont. Poec54 used to say something along those lines. my bad.

@BishopiMaster i mean Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Grammostola, Eupalaestrus, Euathlus.
had to finish up some cages. here goes.
-the advice for arid species is good. they dont really need anything.

- for the fossorial, Stan is way off on the C lividus. they absolutely require moist substrate to survive. keeping them in "effectively arid setups" is a good way to kill off pretty much any asian spider. dumping water down the burrow is probably unneeded, but i believe it would work fine.

- the caging advice is incorrect for the swamp dwellers. 10g is large enough for anything i think. ive certainly never heard of anyone forcing their Theraphosa or Ephebopus to adapt to dry conditions.

-Avics dont need dishes high up. i see mine at their dishes here and there. they also dont need high humidity. they require a dry climate for which high ventilation certainly helps. the care for the other 4 genera in the arboreal section is good.

all in all, not a great source of info, but still worth having. (2nd edition)

i will say that he gives wrong advice on Avicularia. (including Caribena and Ybyrapora)
Ok so, what is the PROBLEM with an enclosure larger than 10 gallons for t. Blondi?

He never said to force the theraphosa to adapt to dry conditions, he explicitly explains how to keep them damp and humid.

The information on c. Lividus is useful, although he does say that a number of keepers have kept them successfully in drier cages.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I got to the anatomy chapter of this book and it put me to sleep. It's as effective for me curing a sleepless night. I couldn't get past it. I think I need to skip to the next chapter.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ok so, what is the PROBLEM with an enclosure larger than 10 gallons for t. Blondi?

He never said to force the theraphosa to adapt to dry conditions, he explicitly explains how to keep them damp and humid.

The information on c. Lividus is useful, although he does say that a number of keepers have kept them successfully in drier cages.
thought you forgot about me ;)

waste of space mainly. i use a 10g for my AF stirata. just as a display cage. it may be downsized as more of my slings grow.

restricting ventilation to almost nothing is begging for a massive mold outbreak. frequent testing of the substrate is a pain in the ass and unneeded. so yeah, lots of useless and even poor information.

yeah im sure its possible if youre pouring water down the burrow. i also imagine youd never see your lividus as its hiding in the only spot where theres even a little bit of moisture. lot easier just to wet everything down.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thought you forgot about me ;)

waste of space mainly. i use a 10g for my AF stirata. just as a display cage. it may be downsized as more of my slings grow.

restricting ventilation to almost nothing is begging for a massive mold outbreak. frequent testing of the substrate is a pain in the ass and unneeded. so yeah, lots of useless and even poor information.

yeah im sure its possible if youre pouring water down the burrow. i also imagine youd never see your lividus as its hiding in the only spot where theres even a little bit of moisture. lot easier just to wet everything down.
Well reasoned

Rabid Mouse

Arachnopeon
Its been a while since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure it mentions humidity being a requirement for Avics. If it does unlearn that part of the book for sure. In the past it was thought Avics needed high humidity and that low humidity a primary cause of death. In reality it was just stuffy cages and poor ventilation Avic husbandry has been well covered on these boards. Put ventilation is the most important, good cross ventilation..

I think the worse thing the book mentions is the uce of icu, people tend to think any spider thats not doing well should be put in an icu when in reality there are alot of species icus just cause them more stress. Icus don't really accomplish anything that you can't better achieve in other ways. For a really dehydrated T it may do some good, but dropping water onto their fangs is better.

So many threads start out something is wrong with my T so i put him in a icu. Then the first page is filled with responses telling them to get them out of the icu cause most beginner Ts like it dry so the icu just adds to a bad situation.

There could be more, but those are two of the main ones... I mean there is alot of good in that book as well. just remember in general the information on this forum is greater then the information in that book.
Good to hear Humidity is not important by Avics ... Makes life easier ...