Just Bought Very First Tarantula

KerryKing

Arachnopeon
Yo! I'm new to this site (and spiders themselves, for that matter), but after much research and months talking the parents into owning one, I finally got a tarantula. I didn't know what he even was at first, because the pet store just made up a common name and did not give me a scientific name, so I had to identify him by pictures alone. Apparently, s/he is a "Lasiodora parahybana", or "Brazilian salmon" as it's sometimes called. Apparently, s/he's also no a very good beginer spider either, however I've had no problem with him so far.

Anyways, if any other owners of this piticular species have any tips on a proper upbringing, your suggestions are well apprecated. Thanks!

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow.. So much for starting small LOL...

l. Parahybana can get up to 7-9" and some females can weigh as much as 4 OZ!!! (Can you say Quarter pounder?)

(Am I right on the species? Anyone? I believe so)

Im really new to this as well, but I have yet to find this place anything less than helpful, and smart!

Welcom to the forums, and as said above, keep feeding that sucker. I set up a cricket keeper (along with crix food, and sponge water) for less than 10$ Perfect place to keep a steady supply of well nourished spider food! :)

-Jason

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats! You'll get hooked on Tarantulas. I guarentee it. For me it was just, "Oh. I'll get just one." And 1 has turned into almost 20. But I'm a lightweight compared to some other enthusiasts here.

Last edited:

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Hello Good to see another person taking an interest in tarantulas I remember reading somewhere that said that it will be the people who collect and understand tarantulas that will end up being the ones that will save them =) And I think that is somewhat true.

But anyways its too bad that a petstore would sell u a tarantula with a fake name and no scientific name. But its good to see that u care alot about the well being of ur T by coming on the forums and asking for any tips that people can give u.

Anyways I dont have any experience with one of those giants but good luck with her, i hope to eventually get one.

peace

TheDon

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sure picked a beast of a T to start off didnt ya??? good luck and have fun cause i know this hobby is "sorta" addictive. ;)

Risto

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Where in Canada are you? Which pet store sold you the T?

Cheers,
Dave

KerryKing

Arachnopeon
Dave-
I currently live in Nova Scotia, and I bought my T at a pet store called "Wiskers" located in the local mall where I live.

Jason-
where do you buy/how do you build a "Cricket Keeper"? I could definately use one!

Last edited:

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hiya

Make sure to keep it well watered - a 3" diameter 1cm deep dish will be fine

I've seen slayer front row at opzzfest last year, I got a wicked photo of kerry king in mid angel of death solo! I'll try uploading it later!

Jeff Hannemans stuff owns KK's though ;)

SLAAAYAAAAR \m/

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the board!
oooo I think parynanners are darlings.
Pigs too.
Just keep feeding it and reading about them.
And starts kissing parent butt again now because I have found that once you own One tarantula,, you want more, and soon you'll have two, and then four, then twenty...
It's Very adictive.

Our little monster of this type is about three inches now and growing fast.
They just eat and eat and eat...

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy.

KerryKing

Arachnopeon
deifiler,

For a water dish, I use a petri dish cover I stole from school, which is at least as long as him in diameter.

I'd love to see the pic.- Slayer is by far the best Thrash Metal band out there, from 1983 when they started, up to now, 2 decades later, they can still destroy any of those 1-album Nu-metal sell out bands that last about a week.

Nixy,

My T is a good 2.5 to 3.5 inches himself when he's streached out, but I've seen him curl his body up into almost nothing. I've noticed with mine, he seems to start moving at around 11:00 and moves around the most close to 11:30 at night, at which time he crawls around, gets a drink of water, tries his hardest to climb the side of the cage (which i've never seen him make it to the top), and everything else they do.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:D WELCOME:D

I have no experience with that particular species, but I CAN recommend that you hang around here... you'll learn alot. Arachnoboards has some of the smartest and nicest people in the trade!

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Jason-
where do you buy/how do you build a "Cricket Keeper"? I could definately use one! [/B]

A plastic critter keeper (Small, like 8" by 6") and a cricket gut loading diet.

I used the bottoms from 2 plastic cups for the food and water dish, and in the water dish, i cut up a new sponge to just fit inside the water cup.. Ive stacked some pieces of eggcrate i got with the crix between the 2 cups. So far, its been keeping a good 2 dozen crickets alive for a while now..

Just gotta check that water dish every day, add water as needed..

This same idea, but larger can be applied to keeping a few (6-8) dozen crickets alive, enough to supply one spider for a while ;)

-Jason

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome aboard.

BTW, Is Kerry King your name, or is it your way of saying that you are a Slayer Fan?

Jon