Just bought my first T but i am not sure if i should rehouse her/him

Hafi

Arachnopeon
So i just bought my first T. It is a Caribena Versicolor. The Breeder gave her to me in a plastic cup which is not very appealing and also pretty annoying to open, because she made half her web attached to the lid on top. I have prepared a nice little enclosure that is just slightly bigger than the cup but now i am not really sure if i should rehouse her. Almost all her siblings that they had just recently molted so i dont want to disturb her if she is in premolt. Also they have left a little Cricket in her cup that she doesn't seem interested in at all. So what do you guys think, can i rehouse her? and should i remove the cricket? Sorry the pictures aren't the best but it's hard to get a clear shot of her in her web tunnel. :) ( also i keep saying her but i have no idea if it's a girl yet, just hoping for the best^^)

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What is the new enclosure, do you have a picture?

sasker

Arachnoprince
And definitely remove the cricket. Can be a hazard to a molting tarantula.

Hafi

Arachnopeon
What is the new enclosure, do you have a picture?
Sure, i made this from a ferrero rochher box, saw it on youtube and liiked the idea, especially because it opens from the front. If i rehoused her i thought i would replace a bunch of the substrate that is in the new one with that of the current one, because it already has a bunchh of springtails in it. I'd probably also use the piece of Corkbark from the old one because it's pretty nice i think.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sure, i made this from a ferrero rochher box, saw it on youtube and liiked the idea, especially because it opens from the front. If i rehoused her i thought i would replace a bunch of the substrate that is in the new one with that of the current one, because it already has a bunchh of springtails in it. I'd probably also use the piece of Corkbark from the old one because it's pretty nice i think.
Okay, well sure that will work, but so will the old one if corrected, theres way too much moisture in there. but I dont see any ventilation holes in the new one, and they require a fair deal of cross ventilations, meaning on the sides, and put some on the top as well to aid in movemtn through up and out.

As far as your substrate comment goes, ditch that. If it has enough moisture to sustain springtails then it is being housed incorrectly, and can lead to a decline in health and a dead sling, with minimal ventilation.

You'll want to keep them with dry substrate, or mostly dry, with a water dish, and again most importantly lots of ventilation. and do not mist either, or worry about humidity.

Id probably rehouse regardless just to put in new dry substrate. This is what anecdotally, has been proven to not lead to death. If you have read anything that says they need to be kept with high humidity, or any specific humidity number, that you have read bad info.

Hafi

Arachnopeon
Okay, well sure that will work, but so will the old one if corrected, theres way too much moisture in there. but I dont see any ventilation holes in the new one, and they require a fair deal of cross ventilations, meaning on the sides, and put some on the top as well to aid in movemtn through up and out.

As far as your substrate comment goes, ditch that. If it has enough moisture to sustain springtails then it is being housed incorrectly, and can lead to a decline in health and a dead sling, with minimal ventilation.

You'll want to keep them with dry substrate, or mostly dry, with a water dish, and again most importantly lots of ventilation. and do not mist either, or worry about humidity.

Id probably rehouse regardless just to put in new dry substrate. This is what anecdotally, has been proven to not lead to death. If you have read anything that says they need to be kept with high humidity, or any specific humidity number, that you have read bad info.
Oh yeah sorrry the picture doesn't really show it, but i do have 12 holes each on the left and the right side, 2 on the front where the holes from the hinge are and 24 on top. I hope that will be enough or should i also put some in the back as well? As for the mist in the cup, i have read that as well on these forums that you shouldn't do that so i cringed a little bit when the breeder misted it before giving it to me. I asked him about it and he said he does it once a week. He also told me that he had 230 versicolor slings and only one died but yes i was planning on just putting a little water bowl in the enclosure instead of misting it. But thanks for the information anyways :).

Hafi

Arachnopeon
You can add some vents on the back panel. Never hurt for versicolor
Ok i just added a bunch bunch more on the sides but now i guess i'll add some on the back as well lol. Thanks for all your quick replies You guys are really helpful :). I will try to rehouse her. I guess i was just worried that if she is indeed in premolt she might not be able to reconstruct her web in a new enclosure before molting. Thanks again for the help.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ok i just added a bunch bunch more on the sides but now i guess i'll add some on the back as well lol. Thanks for all your quick replies You guys are really helpful :). I will try to rehouse her. I guess i was just worried that if she is indeed in premolt she might not be able to reconstruct her web in a new enclosure before molting. Thanks again for the help.
I would add some fake foliage (to the upper half, branching off the cork) for her to use as cover and anchor points for webbing.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
( also i keep saying her but i have no idea if it's a girl yet, just hoping for the best^^)
In my world, the C. versicolor is always "her." I don't know why. I guess she just looks girly to me so I don't think I've ever referred to mine as "him" LOL.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I thought that might be the case but I hadn't really looked into it yet. Thanks for the answer :)
I'm a bad vent sexer, I use molts. But if I can do versi anyone can. All you look for is a white lip on females, it's very obvious.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for that info! Only have to keep my fingers crossed for a female for another 6 months or so :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for that info! Only have to keep my fingers crossed for a female for another 6 months or so :)
All the years I've raised them, I've ended up males. Last year I bought 2 sacmates that eat/molt like clockwork with each other, ended up with females for a change! They are certainly different colors than males.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
All the years I've raised them, I've ended up males. Last year I bought 2 sacmates that eat/molt like clockwork with each other, ended up with females for a change! They are certainly different colors than males.
Congrats on finally getting some females! I can only hope to be so lucky, but it's still possible :) Does @cold blood have any females yet? Last I heard, no :( .