Just a shower though

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
You know when buggers put substrate and empty water dish every damn time you fill it? What if they just want to eliminate water source for possibly bigger animals that try to drink it and endanger their burrow and themselves in the wild. That could pretty much explain their endless endeavour to enrage you with their flip-flops of water source.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't believe there is knowen fact of why they do this. You could be on to something here.

They are instinctive so almost all behaviour is about survival. It could make sense.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read once that they will fill up any holes near their burrow so when they wander out of it, they're not tripping on anything if a predator comes and the spider makes a dash for its burrow.

But as mentioned before, no one really knows.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I think they just want to annoy their keepers. We are their only source of entertainment, after all. Tarantulas are pranksters, didn't you know? ;)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've held that theory about wanting to eliminate attractions for potential predators for a while. but, a water source could also attract prey, so there is that side of the coin to consider as well. The"tripping" idea could be valid, but tarantulas are sort of all-terrain vehicles, I have sort of a hard time thinking that they would be impeded by a small crater. Though I suppose water could be an obstacle.
Bugmom's theory seems the most plausible to me.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I've held that theory about wanting to eliminate attractions for potential predators for a while. but, a water source could also attract prey...
Yeah, crossed my mind as well, but then insects mainly drink from leafdrops and get moisture from food... I dunno, maybe it's mix of all these things

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No one knows. I honestly think it's about filling in holes so they have a solid surface to walk on. If you have ever noticed a Ts movement, esp during a rehouse (assuming they aren't moving like a bat out of hell) they are very careful when walking from box 1 to box 2. They are even deliberate walkers in their own home.

Ts instinctively want sure footing IMO, and do what they can to ensure it.