Jumping Spider Not Eating

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone, I'm new to the website/community, and as the thread title states, one of my jumping spiders is not eating. She's drinking just fine, and seems to be happy exploring the area, however, she won't eat. Any clues as to why she won't eat? (Note: I'm feeding tiny grasshopper nymphs, the others will eat them, however, she will not)

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
It's probably getting ready to molt. After it sheds, give it a few days before you feed it

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Ok, thank you ^-^, this is the first spider I've kept since I was four lol, so I'm not the best at figuring these things out

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I wish I could help you but for some reason I can't keep jumpers alive.. They never feed for me.. I don't understand it..

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can try offering something less intimidating. My experience with jumping spiders is that they'll refuse food if they don't feel like they can take it down. Individuals that refuse crickets, roaches, and grasshoppers usually end up taking caterpillars and flies of similar size.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I wish I could help you but for some reason I can't keep jumpers alive.. They never feed for me.. I don't understand it..
If I drop food in for mine without putting them in the window where they can warm up their muscles, they'll completely ignore it. As soon as I move them to the window seal, within 30 minutes or so they'll eat. House temp is always around 75, but for whatever reason they just need the sun/higher temps to eat it seems. So maybe give that a shot if you haven't already.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If I drop food in for mine without putting them in the window where they can warm up their muscles, they'll completely ignore it. As soon as I move them to the window seal, within 30 minutes or so they'll eat. House temp is always around 75, but for whatever reason they just need the sun/higher temps to eat it seems. So maybe give that a shot if you haven't already.
I'll give it a try!

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
I will as well, it waited for a pinhead cricket to die by it's self before it ate it, also, a thing happened. (Off topic) One of my jumpers built a funnel like web, anyone know what that's all about?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I will as well, it waited for a pinhead cricket to die by it's self before it ate it, also, a thing happened. (Off topic) One of my jumpers built a funnel like web, anyone know what that's all about?
That's their "hammock", they build those to sit in/sleep in. Pretty much the only webbing you'll see them do.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
That's their "hammock", they build those to sit in/sleep in. Pretty much the only webbing you'll see them do.
Aahh, ok. I was just wondering because my other one built a web on the side of the environment to the point where it looks like he's sleeping on the wall.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Aahh, ok. I was just wondering because my other one built a web on the side of the environment to the point where it looks like he's sleeping on the wall.
I've got a male that's built his like that too, he seems to enjoy sleeping vertical for whatever reason lol.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Really? That's weird that they do that though. Also, mine that does that is a Bold Jumper, so, he's rather small.

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
So this is my blade he keeps getting doing this comes out for a little bit and then goes back in here hasn’t been eating in a few days

is he molting

Sorry for poor photos

Attachments