Jumping Spider Molting?

slrosenbaum

Arachnopeon
We are new to the jumping spider game and recently got a male Regal that my kids named Springs.

The company we got him from said he was in his 3-4 instar so from what I understand, still pretty young

Last week, he built a very thick nest under one of the flowers in his enclosure, pigged out on a green bottle fly and went into his nest. That was 10 days ago. We assumed he was molting but we haven’t seen any evidence of an exoskeleton.

Every couple days he’ll stick his front legs and pedipalps out and then retreat back in a little while later, so we know he’s still alive in there. Up until now, he’s been pretty active so we’re getting a little worried.

Could he still be molting? Should I offer food?

First picture shows him sticking his legs out, the only indication we get that he’s still alive in there. Second shows him about a week before he went in his nest

Attachments

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
We are new to the jumping spider game and recently got a male Regal that my kids named Springs.

The company we got him from said he was in his 3-4 instar so from what I understand, still pretty young

Last week, he built a very thick nest under one of the flowers in his enclosure, pigged out on a green bottle fly and went into his nest. That was 10 days ago. We assumed he was molting but we haven’t seen any evidence of an exoskeleton.

Every couple days he’ll stick his front legs and pedipalps out and then retreat back in a little while later, so we know he’s still alive in there. Up until now, he’s been pretty active so we’re getting a little worried.

Could he still be molting? Should I offer food?

First picture shows him sticking his legs out, the only indication we get that he’s still alive in there. Second shows him about a week before he went in his nest
Normal behavior. Make sure you keep humidity up just in case he is molting.

The molting process itself usually only last a few hours or so. When they stay in their nests for a while to molt, that’s called pre-molt. My Platycryptus undatus did this, stayed in the nest for like two weeks, poked her head out sometimes. But than she molted.
But, my sister’s Eris militaris did this too, he stayed in his nest for over a week, poking his head out occasionally, and didn’t molt. But was perfectly fine. That was about ten months ago. They are both healthy and still alive.
AC69D4FC-FCEF-4ADF-A0F7-249EA8D4AD2D.png

slrosenbaum

Arachnopeon
Ok awesome! Thank you! Like I said, we are new to owning jumping spiders and we are completely smitten with him! Hopefully he’ll come out soon!

Should I offer him some food in the meantime?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Ok awesome! Thank you! Like I said, we are new to owning jumping spiders and we are completely smitten with him! Hopefully he’ll come out soon!

Should I offer him some food in the meantime?
If you see it walking outside the nest on its own, feel free to offer some food. Just don’t offer it food if it doesn’t come out on its own. And to emphasize again, make sure there is good humidity in the enclosure. Phidippus regius need good humidity to molt. Otherwise they can have a mis-molt.