Jumping Spider heat question

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Check this link!

I use a heat mat for my P. Regius and she does fine, she actually likes to hang out on the side where the mat is. It can get cold where I live so the heat mat really helps.

Most important thing is:
Heat mat directly against the glass on the OUTSIDE.
You MUST use a thermostat.
The thermostat's temperature sensor must be DIRECTLY against the glass on the INSIDE. This will make sure the glass never gets hotter than what you set the thermostat to. I never set my thermostat above like, 74 degrees F (that's 23 degrees C).

I also have mine set up to velcro on and off so it doesn't have to block the view in the summer time when its warm and she doesn't need the mat.

Good luck!
Would you care to mention the make of the heat mat and thermostat?

A bit more from the Zoo Med instructions:

Bottom Mounting: Clean the surface of the terrarium, peel adhesive paper off back of heater
and “stick” the heater to the bottom of your terrarium; remember to place heater on either the right
or left side of terrarium and gently rub heater to make firm contact. This allows one side of your
terrarium to be warmer than the other, providing a natural temperature gradient. The ReptiTherm®
must be stuck to the terrarium.

Substrate: If the ReptiTherm® is on the bottom
of the tank, you must use some type of substrate
material. Good substrate choices are Zoo Med’s
Eco Carpet™, Zoo Med’s Repti Sand® or Zoo Med’s
Repti Bark®. If using very lightweight substrates
such as aspen shavings or sphagnum moss, you
must put a layer of Zoo Med’s Eco Carpet™ down
first. This prevents snakes and burrowing reptiles
from pushing substrate aside and resting on top of
the glass directly above the heater, resulting
in possible burns!

Icey51115

Arachnopeon
Would you care to mention the make of the heat mat and thermostat?
Its an Aiicioo 6"x8" heater and thermostat combo, here's a link.

It says "under tank heater" on the Amazon title and package but just ignore that, put it on the side. The sensor also comes with a suction cup - I don't use it, it doesn't hold the sensor directly on the glass, so I just have the sensor taped to the glass instead. Also, you can switch the display between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Last edited:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Just dropping in to mention that the zilla micro habitats have several gaps which would allow a jumper to escape! Look over the whole enclosure very carefully when you get it, and seal any gaps bigger than the spider's carapace. Alternative enclosures to look into included amac boxes or clear plastic cereal storage containers, but you'd have to add ventilation

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I agree, Zilla micro habitats are not good for Jumpers. I’ve heard people say their fully grown female Phidippus regius escaped… I think there were a few YouTubers who made jumping spider care videos and hyped up this product even though they aren’t at all experienced in how to take care of jumping spiders. I fell for this too. That enclosure was put back in it’s box after my jumper escaped (don’t worry, I found her) and has been gathering dust ever since. I will probably find a use for it. Too bad it didn’t work, it’s a cute little enclosure!

Note that on the front of the box is Plexippus paykulli. Smaller than regius. Probably would escape.

Attachments

fizzyelephant

Arachnopeon
Oh wow! So much useful information, thank you all for your help! I think I’ll try without a heat mat at first, but if it gets colder then 18 degrees Celsius (64
Fahrenheit) I’ll use one on the side. I didn’t notice that about the Zilla enclosure, would it be better to put some masking tape over some of the larger holes or just put it back in it’s box and buy something else? Again, thank you!

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Oh wow! So much useful information, thank you all for your help! I think I’ll try without a heat mat at first, but if it gets colder then 18 degrees Celsius (64
Fahrenheit) I’ll use one on the side. I didn’t notice that about the Zilla enclosure, would it be better to put some masking tape over some of the larger holes or just put it back in it’s box and buy something else? Again, thank you!
I would buy something else personally. You may be able to make it work, but it’s up to you whether or not to. I think I would always be a little worried knowing it could escape if I didn’t close it properly or a hole I didn’t seal properly.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I agree, Zilla micro habitats are not good for Jumpers. I’ve heard people say their fully grown female Phidippus regius escaped… I think there were a few YouTubers who made jumping spider care videos and hyped up this product even though they aren’t at all experienced in how to take care of jumping spiders. I fell for this too. That enclosure was put back in it’s box after my jumper escaped (don’t worry, I found her) and has been gathering dust ever since. I will probably find a use for it. Too bad it didn’t work, it’s a cute little enclosure!

Note that on the front of the box is Plexippus paykulli. Smaller than regius. Probably would escape.
Do you recall where your Jumper got out? Is there not a tight enough seal between the door and the enclosure?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Do you recall where your Jumper got out? Is there not a tight enough seal between the door and the enclosure?
I left the room and came back and Mori was on my desk. Unfortunately I couldn’t see where Mori escaped. I had even sealed everything (I thought) but yes, there is not a tight seal between the door and enclosure. It jiggles around.

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
Hi, I’m a very new to spiders and am interested in keeping a Phidippus Regius. I have done a lot of research, I have a zilla micro habitat enclosure in which I will put cork bark and either aquarium gravel or coco substrate and I have found a local petstore that has flightless fruit flies and mealworms.

The one thing I’m not sure about is temperature, I have read that jumping spiders ideal temperature is between 20 and 30 degrees celsius, which would be fine during the day, but at night time the room I will be keeping the spider in can drop to 18 degrees celsius so my question is: will I need a heat pad for during the night, or will my spider be fine?

Again, I’m new to this so if I’m doing anything wrong please let me know! I would hate for my spider to be uncomfortable or unhappy :)
I'm new to keeping jumpers too and I have a P. Audax so I'm not sure if the same temps apply. Everything I've read says that they like room temperature. If you're comfortable, they should be comfortable. Unless it is a tropical species, I don't see why you would need a heating pad. They do like a lot of light during the day though. I have a bright LED light that I have positioned over mine.

I have this enclosure and haven't had any problems. I see where a spider can escape. There are large holes at the base of the door. When the door is closed, I just put a post-its over them.

Attachments