Jumping Spider cross breeding?

Busiga

Arachnopeon
Haven't been able to find a lot on this subject, but has anyone been able to successfully cross breed different species of jumping spiders? My Naphus Pulex male is getting older and iv'e never gotten him a female to breed with, however i do have a healthy female Phidippus Audax. I decided to house them together and so far I've seen several instances of mating behavior on his part where she seems interested, but was never able to look long enough to see any "successful" mating. My question is, if they were to mate, would them being two different genus affect the likelihood of fertile eggs? I've never attempted a cross breed so sorry if wrong terminology.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are in two completely different genera, making it impossible for them to mate and produce viable offspring. Some species within the same genus may be able to hybridize but I don’t know a whole lot about that..

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Haven't been able to find a lot on this subject, but has anyone been able to successfully cross breed different species of jumping spiders? My Naphus Pulex male is getting older and iv'e never gotten him a female to breed with, however i do have a healthy female Phidippus Audax. I decided to house them together and so far I've seen several instances of mating behavior on his part where she seems interested, but was never able to look long enough to see any "successful" mating. My question is, if they were to mate, would them being two different genus affect the likelihood of fertile eggs? I've never attempted a cross breed so sorry if wrong terminology.
what are you going to do with the offspring if by some chance the female does produce slings?

Busiga

Arachnopeon
They are in two completely different genera, making it impossible for them to mate and produce viable offspring. Some species within the same genus may be able to hybridize but I don’t know a whole lot about that..
Aww well that sucks, thought id be able to do something cool lol, well she hasn't eaten him and they've been together for two days, so ill put him back in his own house tomorrow. At least he got some exercise showing off for her.

Busiga

Arachnopeon
what are you going to do with the offspring if by some chance the female does produce slings?
Well it seems like they can't, but if for some reason they did produce viable off spring, I do have a buddy that's a biologist so maybe he'd know the proper people that would want to document them, but i'd probably sell any extras. If it's possible in captivity, i did get both of them from the wild as slings in my yard so they could technically have mated in the wild as well, so maybe release any that didn't sell.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Well it seems like they can't, but if for some reason they did produce viable off spring, I do have a buddy that's a biologist so maybe he'd know the proper people that would want to document them, but i'd probably sell any extras. If it's possible in captivity, i did get both of them from the wild as slings in my yard so they could technically have mated in the wild as well, so maybe release any that didn't sell.
You think there is a market for hybridized jumping spiders, to the point its worth taking care of a sac and everything that comes after that? 🤔

Busiga

Arachnopeon
You think there is a market for hybridized jumping spiders, to the point its worth taking care of a sac and everything that comes after that? 🤔
I don't know if anyone is specifically looking for HYBRID jumpers , but the large jumping spider keeping community in my area got me into them in the first place and people are asking all the time who has slings to sell. it seems like spider keepers are like junkies lol, you start with one and end up having double digits. I think its because they're low maintenance and quiet pets.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know if anyone is specifically looking for HYBRID jumpers , but the large jumping spider keeping community in my area got me into them in the first place and people are asking all the time who has slings to sell. it seems like spider keepers are like junkies lol, you start with one and end up having double digits. I think its because they're low maintenance and quiet pets.
Nobody sane or serious wants hybrids, no Frankenspiders or FrankenTs.

They contaminate the gene pool, genetic garbage.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
@Busiga i understand your curiosity, but hybridization is never a good idea. ESPECIALLY if the babies are sold. This then leads to confusion as to which are the real "pure" ones, and which are the "tainted".