Jumping Spider Care

Melly Pie

Arachnopeon
I just got a jumping spider my brother caught in the basement, I want to keep him. I think catching flies would be kinda hard, would feeding him crickets be ok?
And how often should I feed him?

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have figured out a very clever way to catch flies..

I bought a collapsible (pop-up) minnow trap from Amazon.com for about $12.

I closed off one of the holes leading in with a sewed-on patch of old nylon stocking. What I do, is I put it outside with something smelly down in the bottom. the flies fly in, but they can't figure out how to fly out!

I take out the stinky food, cover up the other hole with a piece of duct tape, and pop the entire contraption into the freezer for a few moments to stun them.

Voil'a! Jumping spider and mantis dinner! :)

P.S. This would probably work well to catch moths, as well, if I substituted a light of some sort inside for the stinky food.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phidippus regius

My Regal jumping spider eats 1/4 - 1/2 inch crickets like a champ..

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
jumpers can and will eat almost any prey item...crix or roach nymphs from the store work well but i feed mine grasshoppers and moths(make sure you know about any pesticides in the area)

Tarantula_man94

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive caught a few jumping spiders and they are extremely active and fast. i fed the ones i caught mainly crickets but they will eat many other insects as well. :eek:

jrlh84

Arachnopeon
I have figured out a very clever way to catch flies..

I bought a collapsible (pop-up) minnow trap from Amazon.com for about $12.

I closed off one of the holes leading in with a sewed-on patch of old nylon stocking. What I do, is I put it outside with something smelly down in the bottom. the flies fly in, but they can't figure out how to fly out!

I take out the stinky food, cover up the other hole with a piece of duct tape, and pop the entire contraption into the freezer for a few moments to stun them.

Voil'a! Jumping spider and mantis dinner! :)

P.S. This would probably work well to catch moths, as well, if I substituted a light of some sort inside for the stinky food.
That's a great idea. I'll have to dig out my old minnow traps and do that. Thanks for the tip.