Jumping Around- Where will Yours be?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw the info below on this site>> http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/chromatopelma-cyaneopubescens/

88 years later.... How many of us own a species or two that is not even identified by science yet, let alone a species that is "classified", but will likely get changed during a revision (Avic owners.. :rolleyes: )

"Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Strand/1907), also known as “Greenbottle blue”, is a wonderful bird spider due to its coloration and webbehavior from Venezuela.....In 1907 she’s officially been published by Strand as Eurypelma cyaneopubescens. Later, in 1939, Petrunkevitch moved her to the Delopelma-genus (which is today the Aphonopelma-genus). Nevertheless spiders of the Aphonopelma-genus are anatomically different due to its burrowing characteristics, which is the main reason why Schmidt gave Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens a genus for herself in 1995."

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wonder about the genius that invented that common name back then... I think about someone like Popeye's father, always drunk :-s

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
A top level answer below:

That science is always seeking to answer questions, and that sometimes those answers are re-evaluated for various reasons. Science is a constantly evolving discipline.
That is definitely the true essence of science. Rather than having the right answers, it's more important to ask the right questions. And when you arrive at a conclusion, you must lay it out to be disproven, and respectfully accept change if it occurs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is definitely the true essence of science. Rather than having the right answers, it's more important to ask the right questions. And when you arrive at a conclusion, you must lay it out to be disproven, and respectfully accept change if it occurs.
Too many scientists design their experiments to support their ideas, which is a complete joke to do.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Too many scientists design their experiments to support their ideas, which is a complete joke to do.
Yup. Unfortunately, that comes from the pressure to find significance in your data. People tend to not publish non-significant results, which is also a joke.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I saw the info below on this site>> http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/chromatopelma-cyaneopubescens/

88 years later.... How many of us own a species or two that is not even identified by science yet, let alone a species that is "classified", but will likely get changed during a revision (Avic owners.. :rolleyes: )

"Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Strand/1907), also known as “Greenbottle blue”, is a wonderful bird spider due to its coloration and webbehavior from Venezuela.....In 1907 she’s officially been published by Strand as Eurypelma cyaneopubescens. Later, in 1939, Petrunkevitch moved her to the Delopelma-genus (which is today the Aphonopelma-genus). Nevertheless spiders of the Aphonopelma-genus are anatomically different due to its burrowing characteristics, which is the main reason why Schmidt gave Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens a genus for herself in 1995."
Whoever translated this page into English should not have translated so literally. "Vogelspinnen" technically does translate as "bird spider" if you are being 100% literal but it is obvious that we say "Tarantula" in English.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup. Unfortunately, that comes from the pressure to find significance in your data. People tend to not publish non-significant results, which is also a joke.
Well I've always felt there should be a Journal of Negative Data, so people don't have to reinvent the wheel too, but of course that would never fly hahahaha