Judging a T's mood by touching it's abdomen/back legs - why?

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
In 16 years I have yet to poke or prod a t anywhere to determine anything...why? I don't handle. Handling is the only real reason for temperament testing IMO....
What about when rehousing? Not just to check the temperament but to nudge them out of a corner?!

I avoid interaction with my Ts at all costs, but depending on the species it might be necessary to check temperament first. I had a MF P. Irmina and rehousing was almost always never fun. I knew when she would just move a little bit forwards, instead of turning around and attacking or throwing threat postures that she would be more likely to let me get a catch cup over her.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, don't try that with my Megaphobema robustum, since those love to "jump/whip kick" with that bizarre & lovely rear legs attack :-s

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Probably already has been explained but why would I care where I touch an animal which is almost blind and uses vibrations to orientate? The only time I touch my Ts with anything is if they have to move. And because I usually want them to move forwards I touch them at the opposite side.

cold blood

Staff member
What about when rehousing? Not just to check the temperament but to nudge them out of a corner?!

I avoid interaction with my Ts at all costs, but depending on the species it might be necessary to check temperament first. I had a MF P. Irmina and rehousing was almost always never fun. I knew when she would just move a little bit forwards, instead of turning around and attacking or throwing threat postures that she would be more likely to let me get a catch cup over her.
There are certainly times when we need to manipulate them for things like re-housing, pairing and packing for shipping. But even then, a prod isn't how I approach it. I gently touch or "tickle" for a lack of a better word, the hairs on the legs, never actually prodding the actual animal if I can help it. If that doesn't work, I will actually go under the leg and lift it, as opposed to poking it.

I also find that by using something natural, like wood, I get a lot less of a panic like I do when using a tweezers, which seem to cause a faster fight or flight response at times.