Jenkins Photography

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So after sitting here, listening to the easy listening sounds of Team Sleep, I've discovered what I want to accomplish with my "photography" -- I just want people to take a step back, close their eyes, and then open them with an all new outlook on life. There are so many beautiful things in your life, all you have to do is take a step back from the ordinary and see them right infront of you.

This sunset was the most beautiful thing I'd seen in a very long time. I could not explain the overwhelming feeling of just awe at the colors, the smells, the sights.. It was a perfect evening spent just walking on the sand.

PinkZebraBooty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good for you, spider. <insert cliched comment about how life is chock-full of pain, terror and chaos, but assuaging suffering in the self and others is as good a mission statement and moral code as any>

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for my lack of update, everyone.
The constant sorting of pictures is a tedious task :/
I have three photoshoots this month too :)

hope these look decent

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Much appreciated :)

I just use photography to keep me out of the hole that I was always in. I'm putting away a shiney penny for a new Tamron 60mm Macro lens, with that, my pictures will be extra entising to me :D

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't know if anyone wanted to really see them, but here are some recent photographs..

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You sir have found your niche! VERY nice photos, I could sit and stare at some of these all night. :)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I like these :)

Funny thing about Photography..

There is NEVER only one perfect way to get a shot.

Enjoy what you do.
Listen to those who will offer edvice

Try new things too.

I'm just starting portrait photography. ( ebay is awesome )

my only advice ( from my own exp ) is to find a faster lens. many more possible shots will open up for you. ( faster lens = one with a larger aperture, of F-number that is lower )

Last edited:

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just ordered a nice little lens. Sigma 28mm f/2.8 Macro lens with a Minolta MD Mount. I'll be using this for some Macro/Portrait shots for sure. :)

What Camera are you using?

For both images shutter: 1/13", f/5.6 (could have gone as low as 3.2 but wanted some background clarity)

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The 5D is AWESOME in low light. Which lenses do you have?

I have a 5D body with Canon EF f2.8 lenses 15, 20, 24-70 and 70-200 lenses with a 2x extender. I shoot mainly weather and critters and this kit serves well - the fish eye lens is actually just a toy I dont use very often

Anyway, if you're lookin for hints

1. Do some basic reading on composition - not saying yours isnt good but just a little background info can give u new ideas

2. ALWAYS shoot things a couple of different ways - different depths of field for the same shot and try a couple of different angles even if you think you have a great shot - ya never know when just a slight change of perspective or angle gives you one that much greater

3. ALWAYS have a camera with you - cuz you never know when the next great picture is staring at you - a whole 5D kit might be a bit cumbersome to always have around so a lesser but maybe more convenient backup handy. I have an old Leica Digilux 2 that is limited because it only goes to 90mm but still is a great cam to have around so quick shots

4. Shoot RAW if you can. That said, while anything can be edited to look decent these days, truly great shots usually require little editing. I dont know what software you use, but Adobe Lightroom is a decent package for modestly complex work with RAW files

5. When you have a kit like yours, it's absolutely worth the few extra bucks to invest in better quality filters and cf cards. Like a stereo, your kit's limitation is it's worst component. With the card, the dealers make a big deal out of write/transfer times. If you're shooting runway models or sporting events professionally, that might be a major factor, but to average go it really isnt. But FIDELITY and absolute reliablity ARE big deals, and worth paying two or three times the money for a better card. One great shot lost to a crappy cf card is worth the cost of a better card. If you shoot RAW only, it is worthwhile to spend the bucks for Hoodman RAW cf cards. Older Hoodman cards will write jpg as well. They may be tough ro find but theyve always worked great for me

6. Avoid memory at the current extremes. It always seems that the biggest current cards are likely to be less reliable for fidelity than with lesser memory. I have two 4gb cards, which aint much these days, but even shooting RAW theyve always been enough for a days work

Keep at it. It's an awesome hobby

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as tripods, think Manfrotto

I have a flash unit for the 5D, but I think in three years I've rarely used it. The art is working with the light god gives you (just an opinion)

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been hearing a lot about Manfrotto lately..
I have a Canon EOS 50D, not the 5D, though I would love to have such, I find myself exceptionally happy with the 50D!

You say you have a fisheye, what sort of deal would you possibly be willing to work out for this?

I use a 4gig CF card in my camera, and never remove it simply because shooting on Raw, the images are almost 6 MB a piece and the card shows that it will hold almost 600 at a time, depending on the adjustments of the photos (ISO, Shutter Speed, Fstop, etc..) I always shoot on raw, as well. I never use photoshop for adjusting my images. I have a strict belief that the image should be as good as I make it via the camera. I absolutely refuse to shoot image on Auto with my camera. In photoshop, I only add a border, crop occasionaly, and Put Jenkins Photography on the images. (so myspace users can steal my photos)

I picked up a Promaster 7500edf External Flash not too long ago and am very thrilled with the quality of lighting it helps me produce.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The last 15 'urban' pics (sections 29 & 30) are my favourites. I think this is your style, in my opinion.