Jekyll and Hyde

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi.

My M. Earth Tiger acts very "weird" ( it's normal I suspect,not me )

When a cricket is inside the cage during daylight and running down into the burrow-web that my M.Earth Tiger has done,, it doesn't even react, it even allow the cricket to climb on top of it, BUT when it get dark: Well, nobody gets out of there.
Cricket is "history".

Kenny

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea, At about 5pm all my T's start moving around, hunting I guess.
They are more apt to feed in the evening or at night than during the daylite hours.IMO:)

Ernest

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, my Malaysian Earth Tiger had a cricket on her back yesterday and didn't even move. I think they sleep all day and don't get up until they're hungry. Lazy asses. Take the oppurtunity to touch it and say you touched an earth tiger. :D I don't know why exactly this is though because none of my other tarantulas do this. I think try it and if it happens again immeadiately turn off the lights for 5 minutes and see if it then gets eaten.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Insert Subject here

This lazy behaviour might explain why there are so many Parasites in M. Earth Tigers

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 2 inch H maculata is the same way. Before it molted last, it was only an inch and it would allow crickets that were almost as big is itself to stand on it and it wouldnt move.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
strange indeed.. my regalis is showing the same behaviour.. had her for about 3 weeks now (maybe four?) and she still hasn't eaten. And she's sooo reluctant to move, crickets practically walk on top of her, without gettin any reaction. Sometimes i try to poke her just to check if she's alright and alert, and it usually takes a whole lot of poking before she darts over to another spot.. weird.. i'm suspecting she may be in premolt, but she hasn't made any retreat yet, or webbing for that matter. And i really doubt she being an aboreal spider will molt on the ground.. so i'm bummed

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME, P. regalis doesn't web that much, most of the time my are content to hang out between the cork slabs and just silks here and there. They might web up one area, but nothing like what Avicularia is capable of.

Wade

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, i've heard that too, but it can't believe she will molt on the GROUND? or? i'd think she'd make some sort of webthingy to do her thang.. or maybe she's just teddy-bear-like-pokie who likes crickets walking all over her, and doesn't mind being poked.. :)

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
yeah, i've heard that too, but it can't believe she will molt on the GROUND? or? i'd think she'd make some sort of webthingy to do her thang.. or maybe she's just teddy-bear-like-pokie who likes crickets walking all over her, and doesn't mind being poked.. :)
IME Pokes are often quite terrestrial, especially when small. It's not unusual for them to make burows, or semi-burrows, instead of the tube webs more generally associated with arboreal tarantulas.

Joy