Javanimetrus cyaneus - where oh where is this species in the U.S. hobby?

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anybody have "real" Javanimetrus cyaneus in the U.S.? If you do, do you have adults to breed? Got pics? Thanks.

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
Does anybody have "real" Javanimetrus cyaneus in the U.S.? If you do, do you have adults to breed? Got pics? Thanks.
I have what I believe to be a J cyaneus, I spent a lot of time trying to ID, and J cyaneus is what I've landed on. Maybe you can confirm. I live in Western Canada though...I will try getting better pics but I hardly see them out. 20240704125609_IMG_5049~2.JPG

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have what I believe to be a J cyaneus, I spent a lot of time trying to ID, and J cyaneus is what I've landed on. Maybe you can confirm. I live in Western Canada though...I will try getting better pics but I hardly see them out. View attachment 483525
Yes, need better pics, more in focus and less flash. Thanks.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
I have what I believe to be a J cyaneus, I spent a lot of time trying to ID, and J cyaneus is what I've landed on. Maybe you can confirm. I live in Western Canada though...I will try getting better pics but I hardly see them out. View attachment 483525
Is this supposed to be a hush hush specoes? Did a bit of research and nothing so far indicated this was some kind of blackmarket scorpion.

am i missing something? Whats special about it?

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
I don't think there is anything crazy about the species per se. It's just another cool species of AFS.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think there is anything crazy about the species per se. It's just another cool species of AFS.
The heavy granulation of the claws and carapace and blue-green coloration in natural light sets it apart from other species in the genus.

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
The heavy granulation of the claws and carapace and blue-green coloration in natural light sets it apart from other species in the genus.
Correct! Hence the species name cyaneus, relating to their naturally blue-green coloration. I have spent hours comparing mine to pictures of each species across the web, primarily Inaturalist. I'm more convinced than ever that mine is in fact J cyaneus, heavy granulation indeed. I know H spinifer has a rough v shaped border of granulation along the carapace. Mine has extensive granulation across the entire carapace. The general shape of the carapace, I've noted, is different. J cyaneus has a very flatly smooth carapace, in shape not granulation, whereas H spinifer has a rougher appearance to the angles and curves of its carapace. He/she has not left their burrow but as soon as she does I will get that picture for confirmation.

MorbidArachnid

Arachnoknight
Correct! Hence the species name cyaneus, relating to their naturally blue-green coloration. I have spent hours comparing mine to pictures of each species across the web, primarily Inaturalist. I'm more convinced than ever that mine is in fact J cyaneus, heavy granulation indeed. I know H spinifer has a rough v shaped border of granulation along the carapace. Mine has extensive granulation across the entire carapace. The general shape of the carapace, I've noted, is different. J cyaneus has a very flatly smooth carapace, in shape not granulation, whereas H spinifer has a rougher appearance to the angles and curves of its carapace. He/she has not left their burrow but as soon as she does I will get that picture for confirmation.
Does look like yours has heavy granulation which means its not a Silenus at least, think you have a pretty good shot at it being J cyaneus. I would compare it to H longimanus too, tthe picture quality is kinda bad so I can't say for sure, but both of them have heavier granulation. It doesnt *loooook* right for H. spinifer to me.

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
Does look like yours has heavy granulation which means its not a Silenus at least, think you have a pretty good shot at it being J cyaneus. I would compare it to H longimanus too, tthe picture quality is kinda bad so I can't say for sure, but both of them have heavier granulation. It doesnt *loooook* right for H. spinifer to me.
Yeah, my bad that pic is from when I received him just about a month ago. I've been checking on him a fair bit but he just sits under his log section and hasn't really explored much. I probably should've taken more pics before housing him. I didn't want to leave him on wood chips though. If I am not mistaken H longimanus has a prominent V at the posterior of the carapace, you can see on this awesome pic I found on the web. I finally gave up and got just a little intrusive, still not the best pic but you can see carapace, colour, and lack of a prominent V at the posterior end of the carapace. I just confirmed he is male as he has a tooth at the end of his movable claw. I hope the bottom pic is diagnostic, please let me know what you think.

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8256-asf-heterometrus-longimanus

IMG_5234~2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

MorbidArachnid

Arachnoknight
Might very well be! I think the shape of the chela, granulation between the median eyes and front of the prosoma, and granulation of the chela all point that way. Both male and female H. longimanus are have chela that are narrower and dont have that large lobe on the proximal side. Heterometrus longimanus and spinifer also have smooth "reticulation" on their chela thats fairly light, neither of their chela are heavily textured. This paper is really good but is not great for prosomal granulation comparisons, but shows the chela very nicely.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I've seen, yours is indeed a true Javanimetrus cyaneus. Heterometrus spinifer and longimanus have a very polished look to their exoskeleton, and H. spinifer also display the green/blue sheen in daylight, but definitely leaning more green than blue.

How long ago did you obtain your J. cyaneus?

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
From what I've seen, yours is indeed a true Javanimetrus cyaneus. Heterometrus spinifer and longimanus have a very polished look to their exoskeleton, and H. spinifer also display the green/blue sheen in daylight, but definitely leaning more green than blue.

How long ago did you obtain your J. cyaneus?
I got my specimen at a local exotics pet store. My log says 51 days ago exactly. I believe it had been there another month before I actually acquired it.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
That's some amazing coloration.
In the right lighting it looks like a Jaded Scorpion

Last edited:

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
I have a suspicion my specimen is WC but the store I got them from typically just orders from the same site I use which is highly regarded as being ethical and only selling CB individuals. Maybe my local pet store got some specimens on the hush hush though 🤷, can't say for certain. Either way, I will raise this guy up and I fully intend on breeding so I can get confirmed CB specimens out here.