I've never noticed this...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nor heard of it, I was wondering if any of you have. Do all mature male Ts with hooks have 2 hooks on each first leg? I was taking some pics today and I saw that the mature male Brachypelma emilia has 2 hooks on each leg. I always thought it was one hook per leg.

On to the pictures:

If you can't see what I'm talking about I'll go and try to get better pics(It's hard though while hes constantly trying to get out of my hand)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes its normal. Most of the time its not as defined as the one that you have there........ I have had a few where if you actually look you can see two areas.... almost like a crap pincher with a little part and a bigger part. I think the little part guides the fangs of the female down into the base of the hooks where its nice and secure. Its similar to a V. but I do believe its still one hook just split out at the end but connected at the base.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Ryan, thanks for clearing that up. I've never noticed it, but I know you can't really tell in the pics(I'm gonna try to take better ones after hes done eating his crix), but they are not connected at all, they both come from the leg at different point, probably 1-2mm space between them.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have only seen one with seperate segments like that and it was a Vagans male......... I thought it was a genetic freak. He still sowed his oats though and did well. Who knows maybe its a genetic thing that skips around. More pics are a good thing. I want to see this up close!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hm thats weird and very interesting. Don't worry there will be more pics up in a little while, just keep an eye up for this thread throughout the day.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just happen to have a G. rosea male in the freezer, he also has two hooks on each leg. I couldn't tell if they are separate or connected. I've been meaning to get him into a jar of alcohol, once I do I will get a better look.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Still can't get another pic, but I checked in the fridge on my males that had passed on over time, and they all(B.smithi, A.chalcodes, G.rosea) have 2 pair of hooks on each legs. Except for Sericopelma rubronitens, which have no hooks.