I've always wanted to do this...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
And my luck, the pics come out blurry..

Well, at any rate, here is my cobalt blue (which totally did NOT cooperate for some time before this picture was taken)

Before I post this, I feel morally obligated to note, that this species is generally very defensive/agressive/bite-prone/extremely fast. This species is also reputed to have somewhat nasty venom. Please, please, do not attempt this unless you really know what you're doing (I doubted that myself several times as I was doing this this evening, but did it anyways).

Haplopelma lividum, one of the most beautiful tarantulas of them all, finally coaxed into a short handling session with me.

Again, I apoligize for the somewhat blurry photo, but felt the need to share my experience with the rest of you arachnophiles.

Bill

Attachments

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
that is awesome
i wish my h.lividum would let me hold her again:(

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
note to self, keep camera 5 inches or more from subject..

Poecilotheria ornata (read blurryata) juvenile, unsexed.. When I get on a roll, I usually don't stop :)

Bill

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You did it Bill! You should get your head checked. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Dave, my head has been checked.. what the results were, on the other hand...;)

I find it ironic, that of 21 T's in my care, I have but three to handle yet.

One of them, is always burrowed (H. aureopilosum) and I'm not about to dig it up just for a picture.

Another, is a rather reclusive, and technically still a science experiment, H. gigas. no handling her till I get the project closed.

The other.. scarier than 4 pokes, a cobalt blue, a pair of psalmopeous, and even the L. parahybana (pictured below) is my dear girl Kill-o-gramm. I try every time to get her ready to play.. but she's a maniac. I think there's something to be said about a cobalt blue being more handleable than a frikkin rose hair!

Bill

Attachments

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Conipto,
I give you alot of credit here, there is no way you would catch me holding a H. lividum. I won't even consider holding my P. Formosa since it's so quick, let alone what I've heard about their bites. Good for you man, I know most people would call you crazy, but you also got balls!!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My P. formosa isn't too fast, compared to the ornatas.. It's also alot less skittish, but it's still small (around the two inch mark)

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bill,
How did you get to your cobalt blue? I can see mine once a day in the morning, but as soon as it knows I'm around it bolts down its burrow.
BTW, Great pics bro.

Ernie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Bill,
How did you get to your cobalt blue? I can see mine once a day in the morning, but as soon as it knows I'm around it bolts down its burrow.
BTW, Great pics bro.

Ernie
I just got this one on friday night, as of last night, it hadn't burrowed yet. After the handling though, it seems to have dug down in an effort to say 'screw you and your damned paint-brush, dude'.

Bill.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, hate to bump this.. but her burrow collapsed, and she was topside.. so I got a better picture :)

Bill

Attachments

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Oh, yea!

Each time you do this, I get pumped! I have only docile species, and handle them all. When I get into the big leagues, I'll have no hesitation but to handle them! I still have dreams of pokie bites! Is there someone around in case something bad happens?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, not really..

If I get bit by her (insert 'which is always possible' disclaimer here) then I'll just stay up and see what happens

Bill

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The thing though, tarantulas often act like they're going to bite and even make a strike without using their fangs. The truth is that the chance of conipto actually getting biten are slim to zero.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
The truth is that the chance of conipto actually getting biten are slim to zero.
You know, I used to believe the same thing. One day I was seperating about 200 Selenocosmia stirlingi, had them crawling everywhere. I watched these guys crawling on my fingers and biting into my skin without any provocation, shocked the hell outta me. I've handled the adults up until that time, I don't anymore......

Steve

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
You know, I used to believe the same thing. One day I was seperating about 200 Selenocosmia stirlingi, had them crawling everywhere. I watched these guys crawling on my fingers and biting into my skin without any provocation, shocked the hell outta me. I've handled the adults up until that time, I don't anymore......

Steve
So, we know that the chance is at least 1/200.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Careful.

To say X T will or will not bite, Or that It will act a certain way, is dangerous.

Every T is an individual, and every species has their "dolls" and their "devils"

Plus, (I know its hard) But you cant be too anthropomorpic (SP?) I.E.: Assigning human thoughts / emotions to Tarantulas. They dont think the way we do.

If their calm in your hand, It may just be because their scared out of their minds. (Not saying this is so, just something to think about.)

Caution, and respect for the animal, at all times. This is the only way to insure the animals safety. Unfortunately, If you handle, theres no way to insure your safety.

With that said, I have handled 3 of my 4 Ts (The GBB sling seems too quick, and makes me a little nervous) And not had a problem. This is not to say I wont have a problem in the future, who knows what could happen.

-Jason

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
So, we know that the chance is at least 1/200.
No, quite a few did this. In the last eight or so years I've seperated thousands of young and it's occured more then once and not just with S.stirlingi either. I understand what you are saying lam and for the most part you are probably correct, but unprovoked bites have been reported (although exremely rare), just explaining what I've seen first hand.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
"Each to his own T." (A new quote... by me!!) =D

I know my lividium well and would never attempt what Bill did. Under ANY circumstances! My g. rosea "on the other hand" (no pun intended, but it WAS good!!) will climb right up on me and get in the "make a fist so I can have a cave" position. But, YOU NEVER KNOW!!

Bill: Did you get that rubber hand from Steve Irwin?
(Kidding, I'm just jealous!):(

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Lam, the key here is unprovoked. I think I'd call nudging an animal onto my hand provocation in just about any light..

If not, Then I have alot more than spiders that I should be nudging with my hands :)

Bill