It's funny how life works out sometimes.. (New pick up)

basin79

ArachnoGod
What an absolute stunner. I miss my girl massively. So wish I didn't sell her.

Now I just have to be patient and watch my T.blondi grow.

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
Congrats! I dread the thought of trying to get those T's moved like that but once it's over it's not so bad. Enjoy your new big girl :)

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreed. I never, ever wanted any in that genus. But somehow ended up buying a CB female stirmi off my friend a few months ago. So far so good, thankfully. :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What an absolute stunner. I miss my girl massively. So wish I didn't sell her.

Now I just have to be patient and watch my T.blondi grow.

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.
Thanks man! I love her.. Poor basin has to watch his blondi grow :rolleyes:.. I saw some C/B slings today for like $200 or something ridiculous like that.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Congrats! I dread the thought of trying to get those T's moved like that but once it's over it's not so bad. Enjoy your new big girl :)
Thanks she's not all that bad.. The sub settled over night so I had to add another brick today to minimize the risk of a fall.. She is really skittish but not defensive at all..

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks man! I love her.. Poor basin has to watch his blondi grow :rolleyes:.. I saw some C/B slings today for like $200 or something ridiculous like that.
I know but she was phenomenal. I was going through a bad time with my head.

This is her. The substrate looks dry on top but was moist underneath. She moulted in here and was an absolute gem. Really mad at myself for selling her.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I know but she was phenomenal. I was going through a bad time with my head.

This is her. The substrate looks dry on top but was moist underneath. She moulted in here and was an absolute gem. Really mad at myself for selling her.

Yea she is gourgous man!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
And because I can't ever own just one representative of a species here's her future mate :)...
20170509_184652.jpg

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Mine is still a baby... unsexed, roughly 2 and a half inches DLS. It loves to stay in its hide until the lights are out (as the majority of all my collection does). Kicks up a storm when I spray the enclosure and will probably be the death of me. I found out the hard way just how terrible their hairs are by picking up its molt bare handed (honestly was excited it molted and wanted to try and sex it) 3 days of agony and let me tell you, the tape method does NOT work. A shower vaguely worked.... it was worse than fiberglass in your skin >.< Mine is more flighty than anything and I'm really not looking forward to the future rehouses. Congrats on your female :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Mine is still a baby... unsexed, roughly 2 and a half inches DLS. It loves to stay in its hide until the lights are out (as the majority of all my collection does). Kicks up a storm when I spray the enclosure and will probably be the death of me. I found out the hard way just how terrible their hairs are by picking up its molt bare handed (honestly was excited it molted and wanted to try and sex it) 3 days of agony and let me tell you, the tape method does NOT work. A shower vaguely worked.... it was worse than fiberglass in your skin >.< Mine is more flighty than anything and I'm really not looking forward to the future rehouses. Congrats on your female :)
Thanks man.. At 2-1/2 inches she's what second maybe third instar! Lol... My girl is the same.. Super skittish but not defensive.. Luckily she doesn't kick.. From what the seller said the male is a horrible kicker.. Yay :drunk:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I'm not really into Theraphosa, however I do like the size they get to. So I may have to add one to the mix one day

Ran

Arachnoknight
P2081892.JPG PB240979.JPG PC071032.JPG 14pokies...here is some photos of one of my adult females @ 10"...this is what your girl will look like in the future. They get thicker and thicker as they mature but not much more in length. The first photo was a few weeks after she molted and the molt is dry and shrunk a bit. The second one is when the molt was still a bit wet (carapace 1.5" x 1.5" front to back and side to side). Your girl looks to be a young subadult. I have 3 young females about yours size from a sac from 3 years ago and 2 are subadults one is a large juvie. Enjoy her for a very long time!

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So for years I have been getting more and more tired of dealing with the itching and burning of N/W hairs.. I've also gotten much more sensitive to them. I've thinned my collection accordingly.

For years I also thought T.stirmi were kind of ugly Ts and that there was nothing very special about them. Well for whatever reason about a year ago I became intrigued by them.. That intrigue turned to a pure love for the species.. The huge carapace, the stocky yet athletic build,the subtle velevet brown coloration..The massive size, the feeding responce the well, I could go on forever.. :writer:

Then logic would kick in.. Those damn hairs, the space a proper enclosure would take up, most are imports on deaths door step.. :banghead:

Well the day before yesterday I saw her.. Sitting all alone at a friends table at a local reptile show. Pristine.. The most prestine I have ever seen :angelic:

The price was great but NO!!! Those hairs the tanks space.. I held off..

Regret filled my head all night :rage:...So much so that I texted the next day to see if she had been sold.. I was half wishing she was sold so that the decision was made for me.. She wasn't.. I had to buy her I HAD TOO! Except I didn't...Luckily my friend needed a male G.pulchra that I picked up earlier that day :)..

So with logic kicked to the wind where it belongs I picked her up last night and here She is in all her glory..
View attachment 239569
A 7+ inch two year captive.. She is litterally so calm it's ridiculous.. She didn't bite,threaten or even flick hairs while transferring her into her enclosure.. The funny thing about that is that my friend warned me she was very defensive.. I'm taking her docile nature as a sign that she belonged with me.. Someday she will probably hair me to death and then chew off my face but whatever :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of her enclosure.. Nothing fancy because I'm moving soon, just a tote a hide and a few bricks of coco fiber..

View attachment 239570 The little cap was size reference for something I did on Instagram. The distance from the sub to the top is misleading as she can almost reach the lid when standing on her back legs. So don't worry about her falling.

Once I'm moved in and settled into my new house I will be setting her up in something like a 40g breeder or something similar.. She's to awesome not to show off.

Once she gets familiar with her new enclosure and settles more I will get better pics for you guys.. If you want feel free to post Pics of your T.stirmi's below.. Hope you enjoyed my girl so far :kiss:
Hats off to you, you will not regret your decision. They have to be one of my favorite species out there, they even look prehistoric. I've never experienced a faster growing species, it's almost like they have a sped up metabolism and just keep growing non stop.

There is nothing quite like Theraphosa's, I mean the wow factor is greatly underestimated, how could anyone think their ugly? They are beautiful dark brown with nice red hairs, get huge and grow at an incredible rate, I got 1.5 inch sling last summer it's now pushing 7 inches and is a confirmed female. I can always count on her feeding response.

I will definitely be getting more of these in the near future. I'm hoping to breed them at some point as well, my girl was not WC and I believe we need more CB Theraphosa's in the hobby.

Attachments