It's Definitely Female

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

I had some company over tonight and was showing them various specimens from my collection. I'm going through my centipedes when I notice that my Tanzanian Copperback is wrapped around a bunch of eggs!!! I guess it's a female. :D I'm kinda happy and sad at the same time. Happy that I'll hopefully have a bunch of babies to take care of soon and Sad that this may be the maximum size of the pede. Here's to hoping that they can be sexually mature and still have alot of growing to do. It's size is only about 3 1/2 to 4 inches tops. I was hoping it would get at least blue ring leg sized. Well, pray that it doesn't eat it's eggs!!!

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Scott,
how cool is that!?
Here's hoping that the eggs are viable...I know it's really hard to get pede eggs to do anything...right?
Fingers crossed!
Holley

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
=)

Hoping for you that your eggs stay good!! And that the mother doesn't decide to make a snack out of them!!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
That's the way the eggs are eaten

Oh well, you win some you lose some. Went to go take the day 14 pic of the mom pede with her eggs and guess what? Not an egg to be seen. Oh well, I still have some hopes that my subspinipes is gonna lay some eggs, but who knows....

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.........!!!!!!!:(

Like you said though, win some lose some. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your subspinipes.

Lates.

Atrax

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if it will grow any more, but I am pretty sure they continue to molt, so growth is possible.

I often wonder about how long centipedes live after reaching sexual maturity, as I recently had an S. polymorpha die after having babies...and no, they didn't kill her, I seperated her after they started moving around away from her.

Wade

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Wade.
How lang after your poly had the babies did she die? My poly had babies several weeks ago is the reason I'm asking. Was there any odd behavior or anything?

Gary

U

Unregistered

Gary-

I didn't notice anything odd. I actually didn't know she had eggs until I saw some babies moving around on the surface. The substrate was pretty deep. It may have been coincidence, after the babies I cleaned her cage and replaced the substrate, perhaps something was wrong with it.

Wade