It's a Red Claw Scorpion

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can even say I'm 100% sure it is an emp.

Not all emps are the same, you probably bought a more agressive one.
I have 50+ emps, some more agressive then the other, a few are not for handling.
My scorp is also weird at times.

I mean, its aggressive when I get close to it, but I've seen a feeder cricket jump and rest on my scorp's head, as well as crawl right into my scorp's head without even being attacked.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@K3jser- That is a male P cavimanus, the males have the 'dent' in the claws, females do not.

But jeroenkooijman your scorp dont have a Dent in the claw and you call it a male?? but mine does? so how are you so sure that yours in a cavimanus male?

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know what you mean :D

My advice if you really want to handle it, take it by the last tail segment before the telson and place it on your flat hand as fast as possible. They usually calm down when not cornered. Do note they might start running at first. Keep your guard and place hand to hand to let him walk.

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But jeroenkooijman your scorp dont have a Dent in the claw and you call it a male?? but mine does? so how are you so sure that yours in a cavimanus male?
Sorry I missed your reply.
The male in the picture has the dent, it's not clear in the picture though.
The other way to see the difference is by the pronounced tooth.

Female:

Male:

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like an emp to me a compared to the pictures of the P. Cav. Nice looking emp you have might i add.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay here are some more pics of my scorpion. Now you can clearly see that it's not the red light that makes me think the claws look red...

It looks like a P cavi to me, the black tips to the claws, and I've never had an emp that red before

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen a blueish emp before, some emps just have a reddish tent. But im still not sure either way.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well you are kinda daft for posting ID pics that are smeared in infrared lighting then asking for an ID of a scorpion where one of the few distinguishing characteristics is a red tint.

How about you post 2 or 3 decent pics, one of the head area, one of the chela straight on from ground view, one of the pectines on the bottom then you might get a good answer.
you gotta admit..i made a funny post.:}

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay here are some more pics of my scorpion. Now you can clearly see that it's not the red light that makes me think the claws look red.

I've owned emps before and I currently own a P. cavimanus and that is DEFINATELY a P. cavimanus. Those claws are way too red for an emp.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone looked at the granulation of the chela? Is clearly very bumpy as emps. The cavimanus from your guys pictures are very smooth with light granulation

I know the comparison shots but maybe I'm tired and misreading, is everyone stating its a P. cavimanus?. I'd say its an emperor. Solely due to the heavy granulation. Mine had red(not as pronounced as his) tented chela and were emps. I'm not very educated on the whole body features such as the teeth and indentations etc.. but if we are to go based off granulations it's an emp. Please call me out if I am completely off and know nothing. I have to learn things and being wrong helps me learn from the answers....

Here is my female emp.
This is the small photo and then I have a blown up full rez version.
Small

Large

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Indeed because of the granulation alone you can see it's an emperor.

As you can see in the picture I posted, emps can have reddish coloration on the chela and P. cav can have all black chela. Never trust on colors.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So is mine an Emp or a Cavi?

I have two people telling me its an Emp while two other people telling me its a Cavi O_O

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has a lot of granulation on the chela, it's an emperor.

Here an emperor colony, see the differences in chela color:

Last edited:

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeroen is the resident emp expert so ignore the other 2, they are on drugs.

It's an emp anyway.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its an emp, cavimanus lack the heavy setae on the chela that emps do.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I go with emp too. Another thing is size. How big is it?

tkn0spdr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to dig up such an old thread but it has a lot of good info in it.
Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me if I got an imp or a cav?

I tried to ID it myself with pics and reading other discussions, but I'm just not sure.

IMG_0503.jpg

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There are more species than P. imperator and P. cavimanus!

Despite that, I don't think that this scorpion is a P. imperator

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As discussed further back in the thread, you'd need better pics from different angles to narrow it down. I have to agree that from the one picture, it does not look like P imperator.